 From: Ron Killingsworth <retmiagt@gmail.com>
To: aisdiscuss@aisboard.org
Sent: Friday, March 15, 2013 9:21 AM
Subject: Re:
[AISdiscuss] Motion to remove the operations manual from  the Wiki

suggest we allow the motion to come to a vote since the original
motion
makers appear to not be willing to change the motion.  Then,
those who want
the document on the Wiki Iris and on the AIS web site
just vote NO. If the
motion fails we can make a new motion that the
document appear in both
sites.  Again, this is so silly.  Jody is right
-- the more places the
document appears the better the chance someone
will actually read it.
I'm
signing off this discussion but will gladly cast my NO vote for the
current
motion when it comes up for vote.

Ron
Director, AIS
Adv Editor, Irises

On
3/15/2013 07:14, Jody Nolin wrote:
> This is a a fascinating thread to read,
but there are several issues
> contained and it's getting a bit confusing.

Just a couple of thoughts, not to make it even more confusing.

> Ron,  as
far as I remember Roy Epperson was the last parliamentarian we had.

> Susan
and John, you are absolutely right on about off-the-cuff motions
> and
committee actions.  The business of the AIS is a business.  And
> should be
run with the same thought and accountability.  We've
> improved a lot in that
regard, but still have a way to go.
> Having chaired a couple of ad hoc
committees, I can attest how hard it
> is to get committee member input and
consensus.

> As for the original or amended motion, the more places we
publish
> information, the better. Maybe someone besides us will actually read
> it.   If our membership wants to hold us to our own rules, great.    I

also agree that this should not need board action.  And information on
> the
wiki, blog, bulletin or website is the property of AIS, not any
> one
committee or person.  As such it should be available to any outlet
> of the
AIS.

<AISSecretary@irises.org> wrote:
>> Please remember that the amended motion
has been withdrawn so the only thing
>> we will be voting on is the original
motion.  The motion does not go out for
>> vote until next Tuesday.

Michelle

>> On 3/14/2013 10:47 AM, RON AND SUSAN COSNER wrote:
>>> Do
not know if we have to or if we are voting but I like Gary White's
>>> amended
>>> motion and vote yes for this
>>> Thank you and happy gardening
>>> Ron
Cosner

>>> Wiki
Mar 2013 10:06:46 -0700

>>> draft them in electronic form and send them to me so I don't
have to type
>>> them
>>> (in my slow error prone style) for the big screen. A
few do, but a lot of
>>> our
>>> motions are drafted on the spot.
do sometimes get out of control at the meetings, but a lot of

to, people wait to be called on.

__________________
American Iris Society

Chairman, Electronic Services Committee

Mar 14, 2013, at 8:48 AM, Susan Grigg wrote:

> [...]
Gary and with John; however, it would be to the
>>> Board's
committees worked so well that motions that needed to be
Board from a committee were prepared ahead of time,
>>> presented
the committee report, and any necessary amendments done then. Does
>>> it

President
>>> before
dominated by anyone
>>> who

Robert

owner-aisdiscuss@aisboard.org

On Behalf Of gary white

To: aisdiscuss@aisboard.org
the operations manual from

that John has posted below concerning the way we handle
spring and fall board meetings. While it has not been
Robert's Rules of Order, it has usually worked well in the
>>> board

meeting situation, and sometimes there is a need for considerable

discussion
Robert's Rules
>>> refers
basis. These usually get
longer route and made multiple
amend, then voted on the amended
follow Robert's Rules is to make
is being written, but before the
discussion. After that, we may not be
indicates, it has worked well for us
>>> when
amendments".

motions, especially
>>> when
on a motion. There is not the
and make suggestions for
>>> revision
discussion. There is, by necessity, a
>>> prolonged
voting time with electronic motions, and there is not the
to expediently discuss and compromise, etc as at a live
>>> board

meeting.

<jijones@usjoneses.com>
operations manual from

that Article 10, Section 3 of the AIS By-Laws (4-04-11)
>>> states:
parliamentary rules contained in the most recent edition of

questions

been playing a little "fast and loose" with Roberts Rules
>>> (RRs)
the process of making and discussing motions, but I think that what

evolved over the last several years serves us pretty well. The whole
>>> point

directed
in that we don't
>>> have
resubmitted in a revised
>>> manner,
exceptionally adept at constructing
this provides a reasonable process
>>> us
accepted by the originator and seconder prior to a
>>> vote

>>> the
the past serves to
maintains control
>>> of
needed or a motion made to

exception of one meeting (when I was in the hospital) I have
>>> served

as Motions Secretary at the pleasure of the Board since we started doing

this at the Fall 2004 Board meeting. While the process is not strictly

according to RRs, I think that it serves the intent behind those rules

in
>>> the
meetings while
>>> still

>>> because
>>> accepting

aiselectronicsvcs@irises.org

94536

Killingsworth wrote:

> [...]
usually brings up an idea,
and details, then someone makes a motion,
the board votes. Technically, nothing is
board unless there is a seconded motion
on a lot of talking and discussion and
of only one person. I agree that
interpretation of Robert's Rules of
>>> Order

general
opinion on the motion,
>>> that
until everyone has had a chance to
agreed by all to extend the
>>> discussion.
complicated. But, following the basic rules
the meetings to run smoother and cut out some of the
>>> two
discussions on a simple matter such as publishing the 2014

amended

12:04, Michelle Snyder wrote:
> [...]
it isn't the easiest to
person. Anyway, for as far back as I can
>>> remember,
allowed the members to voice their opinion on an existing
regarding changes but we have also had the changes agreed to by
>>> the

original motion maker and the second, or the originators have agreed to

withdraw their motion. From what I see from Gary's email, it appears
>>> while

discussion
>>> have
(two weeks) and then the
have to go through the same
motion from going forward in
should discuss this further at the
could contact our legal adviser and she could present a

explanation of how this should work. Have we been doing our amendments

board meetings motions have been amended a
voted on.

<aissecretary@irises.org> The archives for AISDiscuss are at:

sign-off this list, send email to the AIS Secretary