Re: Handbook Revision

When I first took judge's training and then started judging shows over 15 years ago, it was confusing to me as to how judges' decided what was worthy of a blue, red, or white ribbon. I searched the handbook and could find nothing that defined what deserved a blue ribbon. The handbook has many pages about the scale of points for exhibition judging, but is silent about how many points becomes a blue, red, or white ribbon. I asked many other judges in my beginning years, and finally stopped asking because no one had an answer. In reality, judging is a grading system, and so I pretty much try to use a guideline very much like what Betty Coyle mentions, 90%-A=Blue, 80%-B=Red, 70%-C=White.

Roy, I would very much appreciate having this clarified in the Handbook, so that current and future judges will have a guideline to refer to.

Kitty Loberg

AIS Master Judge

Region14 Past Judges' Training Chair

Instructor, Mendocino College

During my tenure with Exhibitions, the 2 most often asked questions (expressed
concerns) were about the partially open bloom requirement and what constitutes
a Blue ribbon, etc.?

E. Roy Epperson