Re: Handbook Revision

Hi All
I generally agree with the concept that 90% is Blue; 80% is red and 70% is white.
The frequent debate that I get into is "How many points is that APHID worth???" One Point per aphid? Two? Cheaper by the herd? Some judges will refuse to judge the plant!
Unfortunately us humanoids enter the picture with all of our inconsistancies. Some judges are just plain viciously tough. Other judges , like me, are far more forgiving. Maybe that APHID just flew in from the plant next door? Maybe a competing exhibitor put it there?
After seeing the Italians vote in Florence using a point scale(they are extremely tough) I would NEVER subscribe to a FIXED NUMBERING SYSTEM. It just does not work.
Maybe the judges manual could assign a value per aphid???? Now there is a debate I want to record!! Ha!

Terry

K. Loberg wrote:

When I first took judge's training and then started judging shows over 15 years ago, it was confusing to me as to how judges' decided what was worthy of a blue, red, or white ribbon. I searched the handbook and could find nothing that defined what deserved a blue ribbon. The handbook has many pages about the scale of points for exhibition judging, but is silent about how many points becomes a blue, red, or white ribbon. I asked many other judges in my beginning years, and finally stopped asking because no one had an answer. In reality, judging is a grading system, and so I pretty much try to use a guideline very much like what Betty Coyle mentions, 90%-A=Blue, 80%-B=Red, 70%-C=White.

Roy, I would very much appreciate having this clarified in the Handbook, so that current and future judges will have a guideline to refer to.

Kitty Loberg

AIS Master Judge

Region14 Past Judges' Training Chair

Instructor, Mendocino College

During my tenure with Exhibitions, the 2 most often asked questions (expressed
concerns) were about the partially open bloom requirement and what constitutes
a Blue ribbon, etc.?

E. Roy Epperson