Re: Handbook Revision

   I think I need to clarify what I meant by an 90%-A=Blue, 80%-B=Red, etc.  I
do NOT use point scoring on the show bench, and rarely do I ever hear judges
on a panel mention point scoring.   I would say my ranking is on a sliding
scale, based on a walkthrough of the entire show before judging begins, to get
an idea of what exhibitors have been able to do for this show and this year.

  In my mind, I rank specimens for a Blue as perhaps 90% or better of an
alleged excellent specimen at this show, or 80% or better for a 2nd, etc.,
considering horticultural perfection, stalk, branching, freshness, grooming,
weather, etc. of the entire show.

   My concern about the Handbook resides with the fact that the narrative on
Exhibition Judging is titled "Scale of Points", yet I see no connection
between the handbook methodology and what judging panels use to award ribbons!
Explain this to a student or apprentice when giving tutoring!   It is
confusing.

   I teach college, and the instruction office requires that all instructors
state their grading methodology in their course syllabus, no exceptions.
Every instructor may have a different scale, one may only give 'A's to 93%
scoring or higher, there are other instructor's who may give 'A's to an 85% or
higher.   And many use a sliding scale, which is based on what the best
students in class are doing.   In terms of the AIS Handbook, no where does it
say that a Blue ribbon could be given to specimens which are ranked 80% or
higher, ranked 85% or higher, 90% or higher, or even 95% or higher.  There is
no correlation between the "Scale of Points" even when it is done rapidly in
the minds of the judging panel, to what is worthy of a Blue.   Suppose a panel
did have the time to slow down and point scale judge.    Suppose you have a
perfect specimen, but a petal is torn, losing 15 points (according to the
handbook).   Let's say that is the only fault, otherwise, it is a Best
Specimen of Show quality.    What if one judge is working on 93% equals a
Blue, and another judge is working on requiring 85% to get a Blue?   If there
was a disagreement between judges, and they decide to resort to point scoring
on a specimen, there still is NOT a guideline as to what number of points
leads to a Blue, Red, or White ribbon!   For me, this means that the handbook
point scoring isn't the value it could be.    I am just hoping for some
guidelines, not requirements, to help clarify this issue.
Kitty Loberg
AIS Master Judge