AIS Copyrighted Material

All,

The American Iris Society has much information and data that is
copyrighted.  We have recently sent a "cease and desist" letter from our
Legal
Counsel to Longfield Gardens, LLC, Lakewood, NJ for unauthorized use of  AIS
copyrighted material with iris sales packages at a COSTCO in  California.

In addition, various members of AIS have received requests to use and
reproduce AIS copyrighted materials.  My questions to the Board are:   Who
should be designated to give approval to use our materials?  Should we  have
an
internal approval process or not?  I don't believe just "anyone" or  everyone
should have such authority.  Should the approval point be the  President
and Legal Counsel or the Public Relations Chairman?  Most of  you know that I
already have plenty on my plate.  As an example I just  received a request
from Missouri Botanical Garden where Jean and  I volunteer as follows:

Jim,
I plan on  uploading the iris images I have taken into the gardenbs (MOBOT)
database which will be accessible to the  public.  Each taxon has a field
to describe the plant.  I want to  propose to plant records that we put the
iris registry information in that  field.  First I would need permission to
use the AIS copyrighted  information from someone within the organization.
Who should I  contact?
Gary
Your opinions and quick feedback  would be appreciated.

Jim Morris
President
American Iris  Society