Re: AIS Copyrighted Material

Have been reading this thread for the past few days.

I agree with Tom Gormley
- we could nitpick this to death and even perhaps come
up with "guidelines"
that would be detrimental to the AIS education programs.

Case in point - the
copyright in the front of the JT Handbook and Basic Iris
Culture reads (BIC
has copyright date of 2011):
Copyright  2007 by The American AIS Society. All
rights reserved. No part of
this book may be reproduced without permission,
in writing, by The American Iris
Society except by a reviewer who wishes to
quote brief passages in connection
with a review for inclusion in a magazine
or newspaper.

Taken this literally, this would mean that no AIS
Judge/Instructor could copy
any of the pages to use in a training session;
likewise could not be copied
verbatim into a PPT program in JT classes. I
have attended several training
sessions where a page (or pages) have been
copied to give to students and/or
used in a PPT program.  I don't think this
is uncommon.  I doubt that any of
these instructors asked permission from
anyone in AIS -

I know nothing about copyright law - but the Doctrine of
Fair Use as described
by Bob Pries should cover my concerns since it seems to
specifically cover
educational purposes.

I would be more concerned about
individuals and/or entities outside of AIS and
its affiliates and members
using our materials without requesting permission,
although it's unclear from
whmo they would seek permission.

Judy