Re: AIS Copyrighted Material

I think that we need to understand some of the basics of Copyright law before we can figure out how many people are needed to decide those issues and what our policies should be.

It would better for Veronica Johnson to clarify things from a truly legal standpoint, but I have had some extensive experience in the copyright.

My comments may not be legally tight but the following apply:

There is a "Fair Use" clause in copyright law. Fair use is defined in Section 107. The section contains a list of the various purposes for which the reproduction of a particular work may be considered fair, such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research.

http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html

It is always advisable for someone to obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Columbia University has an checklist for determining whether a use of copyrighted material falls under fair use. I have attached it here for reference (such usage falling under the fair use umbrella).

If we can distinguish that a usage falls under the umbrella, then permission may be more easily granted by a smaller group of individuals than a long discussion by the Board.

However, use of AIS materials for commercial use opens a whole new bag of issues such as "Do we want the AIS name associated with XXXYYY". Perhaps we might want to just disallow any commercial use of our material.

Also the link below provides an interesting summary of copyright law and fair use specifically relevant to online images.

http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/copyright-fair-use-and-how-it-works-for-online-images/

Thanks

John
John and Joanne Jones
Registrar-Recorders, American Iris Society
aisregistrar@irises.org

John Jones, Chairman, Electronic Services Committee
aiselectronicsvcs@irises.org

35572 Linda Drive
Fremont, CA 94536