From: "gary white" <in2iris@yahoo.com>
To: aisdiscuss@aisboard.org
Cc: vjohnson@howardandjohnsonlaw.com
Sent: Thursday, May 30, 2013 8:51:45 PM
Subject: Re: [AISdiscuss] AIS Copyrighted Material

Hello all,

Interesting discussion, and I appreciate several of the comments already made
on this subject, but I find myself in complete agreement with Tom Gormley's
comment that he "would caution everyone against nitpicking it to a standstill.
Maybe just a few guidelines and even fewer people to make the final
determination."

I would also like to hear Veronica's views.

>From my perspective, I think that the organization requesting use of materials
and for what use are key to determining whether the privilege to use AIS
copyrighted materials is granted.  If it is for monetary gain, as appears to
be the case with Longfield Gardens LLC, then different rules should apply than
if it is for educational purposes or one-time use by other iris groups, etc.
The Missouri Botanical Garden's request would fall in this latter category.
First, they asked.  Second, they are looking for accuracy.  Third, they are
a highly respected educational institution.  Fourth, they are not looking for
monetary gain.  My view is that permission be granted to MOBOT to use AIS
Registry information as requested.

In general, I believe that people use photos and materials from the internet
far too freely, without making proper acknowledgements and obtaining proper
consent.  Its widely known that most iris publications grant permission to use
their materials to other iris groups with acknowledgement.  But caution should
be used by all groups to properly protect that privilege and that secondary
distribution is not abused.  For instance, when the Lincoln Iris Society
hosted the TBIS and MIS conventions several years ago, we obtained written
consent from hybridizers and gardens to use their images and information from
their websites for the auctions at the convention.  This was before the Iris
Encyclopedia was up and running.  At any rate, we had requests from a couple
people for the electronic copies of those images, as well as attendee lists
and contact information.  We denied all those requests because those photos
and lists were not ours to pass along!

Some of these requests may be very beneficial and positive for AIS, as
well....as Susan referred to.  They should be dealt with on a case by case
basis.

There needs to be a small group of people with knowledge of copyright law,
publishing, fair use practices, publicity, etc  to flesh out a few
guidelines.  And, a small group of 3 or 4 people should then be given the
responsibility of reviewing these cases and making a determination whether to
grant requested privileges or not.

Gary White