Re: second motion to amend awards ballot

The simple part of the rule is that after winning a Special Medal (SM), an iris goes on the Dykes Medal (DM) ballot for three years or until it wins.

Therefore, most years, a TB wins and there will be 7 to 9 TB's and 3 of each other class on the next DM ballot (assuming all SM winners came from US or Canada).

The special situation arises if a non-TB wins the DM in its first or second year of eligibility, or if an overseas-originated iris wins a non-TB SM. In either of those cases, unless something special is done, there will not be three candidates in that iris class. The Handbook specifies what the special action should be.

I disagree with that action, and the motion being discussed is my proposed change to that action.

Your earlier "IF ELIGIBLE" seemed to me to imply that nothing beyond the simple part of the rule at the top of this email should be used. I thought that what you were proposing was indeed to have on the ballot "Only those winning a Special Medal in each class, no matter how many." That would mean that if, say, an SDB in its first year on the DM ballot won two years in a row, there would then be only one SDB on the next ballot.

That would be a more drastic change than my proposal, but would certainly make the logic of setting up the ballot simpler than either the current situation or my proposal.

BTW, I have sent Barbara and David Schmieder (the remaining irisarians from the last big Handbook rewrite) an email asking if they can shed some light on the origin of the "three in each class" rule, and will report back here if I hear from them.

Gerry Snyder