Re: Youth Protection Policy and E Memberships

As keeper of the AIS facebook page, I am not aware of any youth that are friends. I do not seek out youth to join the page and if they did, presumably they would already have their own facebook page. The fact that they have connected to the AIS page should not be the responsibility of the AIS. Members of AIS could be terrible felons but I we do not have a responsibility to judge someone who wants to join. It is not AIS publishing data about someone, but someone putting data about thenselves out, and connecting it to our sites. The club sites, including AIS proper and the many affiliate sites are putting out information about club activities and iris, not information about individual youths. To think there is a problem here seems like a really distorted idea of they way the world works. I do agree that youth should not be putting some things on their facebook pages but that is their responsibility and their parents not ours.

----- Original Message -----
From: "John I Jones" <jijones@usjoneses.com>
To: aisdiscuss@aisboard.org
Sent: Friday, October 15, 2010 3:42:37 PM
Subject: Re: [AISdiscuss] Youth Protection Policy and E Memberships

Some initial thoughts on the Facebook issue:

If the purpose of the Club Facebook page is to communicate with club
members (only) then having a youth club member  listed as a "Friend"
would be restricted to club members who already know that they are
youth. The youth are of course responsible for their own profiles.

If the purpose of the Club Facebook account is also to communicate
with, or be accessible by, non-club members (e.g., the general
public) then I would say it  would be inappropriate to list youth as
"Friends"

Be that as it may, there is always a risk associated with identifying
youth, and the most conservative position would be to not list any
youth as friends.

I am sure that Bob Plank will be able to tell us what we need to do
to adequately protect ourselves.

John