RE: Motion to move ops manual from wiki to web

I apologize for the misunderstanding about no difference. I mispoke. What I
meant was most of the people I talk with and granted it is a small group
access the wiki through the AIS website and view it as an extension of the
website not as a separate entity . Just llike most people we go there to find
out flower information. But I agree with Gordon if the AIS website had a
search engine it would be so much nicer along with someone to administer the
changes. I use the search capability of the wiki when looking for something.
If you go to search and type in operations manual you can get a list of
topics. For me this is the easier way.
Thank you and happy gardening
Ron Cosner

> Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 09:10:01 -0400
> From: robertpries@embarqmail.com
> To: aisdiscuss@aisboard.org
> Subject: Re: [AISdiscuss] Motion to move ops manual from wiki to web
>
> Gordon; I do not disagree that the Operations Manual should be on the
website. That is not the motion. I think it useful to have it on both for
different reasons.

> The Operations Manual was placed on the wiki so it could be accessible. The
problem with the wensite has been no one finds it easy to find things. For
years a site map was suggested but nothing happened. I do not think even a
site map would work for the website since there are many different subjects
often on the same page.

> Because of all the grumbling about not being able to find things I created
an index on the wiki. It indexes Iris information that is on the wiki itself
and information that is on the website. Traditional indexes are easy for most
of us to use.

> Often I noted when you clicked on a website topic that you would be leaving
the Encyclopedia. This is important because topics in the Encyclopedia proper
are often linked to auxillary topics and one can bounce around from subject to
subject. Once you leave the Encyclopedia you must use the back button to get
back to it, or you must start over from the website.

> For some reason the Number of topics on the website sidebar has been limited
but I would greatly favor a new one be added called Index. It would take you
directly to the Index in the Encyclopedia and you could do a search it you
wished but it would be easy to find anything on the website. Hitting the topic
in the index would take you directly back to the topic in the website. The
wiki is essentially a portion of the AIS website. In some ways it is easier to
get work done on the wiki portion because everything does not have to be put
up by a single person. The two areas can compliment each other in as I have
said things can be presented in different ways on each.