From: "John Jones" <jijones@usjoneses.com>
To: aisdiscuss@aisboard.org
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 2:00:13 PM
Subject: Re: [AISdiscuss] Registration Images

> John seems determined that I answer some of his questions so here goes;

If you don't want to answer questions, then don't. I ask questions and
make comments because I think they are important to ask them or to clarify
things that have been said. If I think of the question I am sure others
have as well.

I would hope that more folks would jump in with thoughts.

> As we both said Mike and Anne get somewhere between 1 and 4% of
> registrations with images. Yes that is a low number, but what would you
> expect when as they say they do not ask for them. I believe that is the
> point of this motion. The point I was making is that they already have
> dealt with the possibility.

Again and not to take anything away from the Lowes but while Mike chose
FileMakerPro to manage the Registration database AND FilemakerPro has the
capability to manage photographs (and does it well) nothing else special
has been done or required. Any database program could do the same. Lets
keep things in perspective.

Having the pictures in a database is different that having them available
for viewing online is different. (more on this further on)

> Mike shared with me that there have been instances where a photo indicated
> that the hybridizer needed to adjust his submitted written description. I
> would say that is helpful.

Yes it would be.

> It seems to me that all the issues of technology are incidental to making
> a decision as to whether to do something. It is easy to never try because
> we do not know how. Instead I would rather we commit to trying and figure
> out the how as we begin.

I don't think they are incidental. They can have a great impact on how
much effort and cost it might take to implement something. Bob seems to
think it is wrong to have a clear understanding of what it will take to
implement something. I would think that he, of all people, would
understand the implications of choosing a technology considering the
problems he has had with the wiki.

> I believe John is asking the wrong question when he asks how will these
> images be used. I could write pages on how we could use them at present,
> and how they might be used in the future. I would hope that everyone could
> think of many ways they could be beneficial. And they will certainly be
> abused also.

Educate us Bob. Let's avoid hyperbole. So far I have only heard one way
they would be used and I was not aware, nor do I believe, that it is the
Registrar's responsibility to judge the accuracy of nor to correct a
hybridizer's description.

Oh, I forgot, hybridizers won't have to write descriptions any more
(tongue-in-cheek lest someone think I really mean that).

Yes, the only real negative I have thought of is the issue surrounding
released names and multiple registered images. Certainly it won't be a big
problem, but at least we have considered it.

I believe that in order for someone (irisarian or not) to evaluate an iris
that they need a range of photographs. One only needs to go into the wiki
to see examples of how widely pictures of the same flower can vary. I
actually believe that is a benefit.

Bob says that there are "pages on how we could use them". That begs the
question of how the pictures are to be made available to the "Dave's
Garden" crowd (evidently our target market) or all the others that will
use them. It would seem that the wiki would be a good place to put the
photos. Certainly creating yet another online source for the pictures
would be counter-productive.

The irisregister database could be modified to accommodate pictures. Do we
have one or multiple pictures? Is this duplicated on the wiki?

I believe in looking at all sides of a question and that ignoring those
issues that are counter to a personal position is a mistake.

To be clear: I am in favor of requiring pictures for registrations.

There are implementation issues surrounding the policy.

* Do we refuse to register a cultivar if there is no picture?
* Is there a period that we allow but not require photos?
* Are there some hybridizers that can't comply?
* Are we going to require that hybridizers fill in previous registrations
with photos? (I can see the email now "pictures of my previous
registrations can be found on my XXX website".)

What are the standards for photo characteristics and labeling? I would be
glad to provide a stalking horse for that:

* provide both a flower picture and a whole plant picture

(I had not even thought about the clump issue before) (This is a good
example of why we need dialog)

(How about a stalk picture to show branching?)

* No other plants in the photo

* between 4 X 6 and 5 X 7 in either portrait or landscape orientation

* 72 dpi

* JPEG format 50% compression

> To me the real question is why are our members going to Davebs Garden to
> see pictures?

I thought that is why we started the wiki.

John