Re: Motion regarding foreign registrations

My comments below:

On Aug 20, 2011, at 7:05 AM, andi rivarola wrote:

> Hey John, thanks for the explanation. I find your points very detailed and
> more clear for me to understand being a newbie.
>
> I have some questions, but the Board may have already explored them.
>
> AIS seems to need to clarify its own role on this. I understand that we need
> to cover our own expenses, but as we have taken the role of World registrar
> for irises that many years ago, we need to see each country, and each
> hybridizer in other countries as a brother/sister that speaks another
> language, that's all. Would we raise prices on our own? I mean, they are
> already paying a fee.

The fee for registration used to be $7.50 for North American hybridizers. in Dec of 2004 the fee for North American Hybridizers was raised to $10.00. In July 2010 the Registration fee for North American Hybridizers to $15.00. All this time foreign hybridizers were not paying any fee to the AIS, only if at all , to their country Associate Registrars. I do not have historical data on what the individual country Iris Societies were charging for registrations.

> A- So, my first question is: do we want -- to continue -- to be the world
> registrar for all irises? And if so, are we being impartial by -- basically
> -- raising the price for foreign registrations only.

The Board decided that the had to bring the fees paid by foreign registrants to the AIS to a par with what North American registrants paid.

> B- Instead or raising prices, which will end up costing the little guy/gal
> everywhere more to register, and discourage registration (a main goal to our
> worldwide role) couldn't funds be raised in a different way? Could we find a
> sponsor to cover registration costs? I mean, since we don't suppose to make
> a profit, it would be nice to ask someone (a company) that can afford it It
> would worth the effort to try to find someone. Discover a new source of
> income!

I would support an effort by someone (else) to find a source that would be willing to fund the registration process if a source could be found that would continue to fund the cost well into the future. We could not have a "now you have to pay, now you don't " seesaw for registration fees. It would be an administrative nightmare.

> C- Even though we were/are consulting with foreign registrars, who we are
> really affecting are the foreign hybridizers. Aren't we? Should we consult
> with them? Again, shouldn't we then treat them as a U.S. hybridizer (that
> speaks are foreign language) and think of them equally? I mean, they are
> already paying a fee.

I believe that my motion goes a long way towards every registrant having to pay the same fee ($15.00) regardless of country. The system will never be perfect.

> D- The possible perception at foreign countries that we're treating them
> differently because they need to pay more in order to register their iris
> create a descent by foreign hybridizers? Have we thoroughly thought of the
> the consequences if this was they case?

I think that my motion will be considered fair by most foreign registrants.

John

> [...]
>> charge a fee to mitigate their costs. But because they do and because we
>> have decided to charge foreign registrants a fee, the registrants are faced
>> with paying a double fee. That is not particularly fair and it is what I am
>> attempting to mitigate (among other reasons) with my motion. To as great an
>> extent as possible, we should create an environment where by all registrants
>> face the same fee structure. Granted given all the various economies and
>> specific country variations, we will never have perfect uniformity, but we
>> can do our best.
>>
>>> 2.   What exactly does the foreign associates do?
>>
>> Described in an other email
>>
>>> Do they just forward the
>>> registrations onto us?  Do they translate effectively and/or correctly
>> the
>>> registrations before sending them to us?
>>
>> Some translate more effectively than others, but certainly better than I
>> could. Plus they add experience as to how to describe an iris clone and
>> correct/clarify the registrations.
>>
>>>  All of these questions should be answered before we should vote on any
>>> changes.
>>> Susan Boyce
>>>
>>> .
>>> .
>>> .
>>> .

>>> thoughts on the table and vet the subject.

>> it
>>> is open for discussion.

>> in
>>> the country currency) per iris registration or iris name reservation to
>> the
>>> country Associate Registrar. That the country Associate Registrar keep
>>> USD$5.00 (or its equivalent in the country currency) per iris
>> registration or
>>> iris name reservation and pay the AIS USD$10.00 per iris registration or
>> iris
>>> name reservation, such payments to the AIS to be made via a PayPal system
>> or
>>> such other arrangements as may be enumerated by the AIS
>> Registrar-Recorder for
>>> his convenience. All payments to the AIS registrar to be made in USD. The
>> AIS
>>> respectfully requests, but does not require, the country Associate
>> Registrars
>>> to accept the USD$5.00 stipend as full payment for their services as
>> Associate
>>> Register in managing iris registrations and iris name reservations. That
>> the
>>> services of the country Associate Registrar include, but may not be
>> limited
>>> to, iris name checking against the irisregister.com database, !
>>> description review ad editing.

>> __________________
>> John I Jones
>> Registrar-Recorder
>> American Iris Society
>> aisregistrar@irises.org

>> To sign-off this list, send email to the AIS Secretary

John I Jones
Registrar-Recorder
American Iris Society
aisregistrar@irises.org