RE: Motion regarding foreign registrations

I agree John's motion seems to be the most fair. After sifting through all the
emails I have seen the last few days. And I think the idea of a per cent
shared from the fee is a good idea. Thank you and happy gardening

Ron and
Sue Cosner

> From: region15kids@hotmail.com
> To: aisdiscuss@aisboard.org
> Subject: RE: [AISdiscuss] Motion regarding foreign registrations
> Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 08:42:47 -0700
>
> Hello everyone,
> My education has increased in the past 24 hours after talking to a few
foreign
> hybridizers and others. For the most part, EVERY Associate Registrar
performs
> a service to their hybridizers, for which they charge a fee. (None of us
would
> argue that by performing a service, fees should NOT be charged). The AIS
> provides each Associate Registrar with access to IrisRegister so that they
> have the most current information regarding reserved and used names of
irises,
> which they research before sending the registration to our
Registrar/Recorder.
> [...]
other
> foreign hybridizer that is charged $23 by their Associate Registrar, which
is
> $8 more than I have to pay. Because the Associate Registrars and foreign
> societies charge differently for their registrations, there will always be
an
> inequity.
>
> Will some foreign hybridizers object? Of course. Will they stop registering
> their iris with us? It is a possibillity, but I think on the whole they
will
> continue to register their irises with us. Understand that there are some
> hybridizers that do not register irises at all and sell their "named"
irises
> willy nilly, including some in the Unite States!
>
> As to John's statement that the R&Is bring us money, that is somewhat true,
> but on the other hand we have an inventory in the AIS Storefront of prior
year
> R&Is that are costing money to sit in storage.
>
> John's motion, on reflection, seems to be the most equitable solution, and
> highly support it. The world is ever changing and I imagine that we as a
> society will make many changes in the next few years to reflect those
> changes.
> Cheryl
>

> > From: andinsky@gmail.com
> > Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 08:05:09 -0600
> > Subject: Re: [AISdiscuss] Motion regarding foreign registrations
> > To: aisdiscuss@aisboard.org
> >
> > Hey John, thanks for the explanation. I find your points very detailed
and
> > more clear for me to understand being a newbie.
> >
> > I have some questions, but the Board may have already explored them.
> >
> > AIS seems to need to clarify its own role on this. I understand that we
> need
> > to cover our own expenses, but as we have taken the role of World
registrar
> > for irises that many years ago, we need to see each country, and each
> > hybridizer in other countries as a brother/sister that speaks another
> > language, that's all. Would we raise prices on our own? I mean, they are
> > already paying a fee.
> >
> > A- So, my first question is: do we want -- to continue -- to be the world
> > registrar for all irises? And if so, are we being impartial by --
basically
> > -- raising the price for foreign registrations only.
> >
> > B- Instead or raising prices, which will end up costing the little
guy/gal
> > everywhere more to register, and discourage registration (a main goal to
> our
> > worldwide role) couldn't funds be raised in a different way? Could we
find
> > sponsor to cover registration costs? I mean, since we don't suppose to
make
> > a profit, it would be nice to ask someone (a company) that can afford it
It
> > would worth the effort to try to find someone. Discover a new source of
> > income!
> >
> > C- Even though we were/are consulting with foreign registrars, who we are
> > really affecting are the foreign hybridizers. Aren't we? Should we
consult
> > with them? Again, shouldn't we then treat them as a U.S. hybridizer (that
> > speaks are foreign language) and think of them equally? I mean, they are
> > already paying a fee.
> >
> > D- The possible perception at foreign countries that we're treating them
> > differently because they need to pay more in order to register their iris
> > create a descent by foreign hybridizers? Have we thoroughly thought of
the
> > the consequences if this was they case?
> >
> > Again, you may have all already discussed these points, but they came to
> > mind.
> >
> > Thanks for taking the time to read these.
> >
> > Andi Rivarola
> > PS: Writing while enjoying a beautiful raising sun at Yellowstone
National