Re: Proposal for discussion -- Clarence's new book

Doesn't the motion have to be made on AISVote?

Margaret
----- Original Message ----- From: "Robt R Pries" <rpries@sbcglobal.net>
To: <aisdiscuss@aisboard.org>
Sent: Friday, September 15, 2006 4:54 AM
Subject: Re: [AISdiscuss] Proposal for discussion -- Clarence's new book

Krieger press says they can ship the next day an order
is placed. perhaps i should amend the motion to us
shipping by the 10th, surely we would have it by then.
Since it should fit in a flat rate #8.10 priority box
it should make it for Christmas.

--- kludi@juno.com wrote:

Hello again,
I see a problem with this motion. If we are going to
run the Special
offer until Dec 1 and then ship from the Storefront
by Dec 5, I do not
see how we can get the books ordered and shipped
from the publisher to
the Storefront in that extremely short time. The
Storefront order to the
publisher will be based on the customer orders to
the Storefront. With
the current AIS financial situation, I do not think
we can or should
pre-establish an inventory in the Storefront in
hopes of selling it
quickly. Looking back, it took 2 or 3 years to sell
out the Storefront
inventory of  William Shear's book The Gardener's
Iris Book.
John Ludi

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 19:26:36 -0700 (PDT) Robt R
Pries
<rpries@sbcglobal.net> writes:
> I will make the following motion concerning
Clarences
> Book;
>
> That AIS provide a Special offer of $58.95
including
> shipping until Dec.1 with shipping from Storefront
> around Dec. 5. As the October bulletin had already
> been printed by the time we heard of this
opportunity,
> that the same offer be put into the January AIS
> Bulletin along with a review of the book and that
the
> offer would culminate at the end of February with
> shipping in early March. We propose to get the
word
> out for the Christmas promotion through iris
editors
> and the AIS website and through the AIS RVPs at
the
> upcoming regional meetings. After March 15 any
copies
> left would be sold at a discount price of $75
until
> gone. This would involve a wash of money for the
most
> part and only the last order may amount to
49copies if
> only one was needed to fill the order and we had
> order 50. But it is very unlikely that this would
> happen and in that unlikely scenario the inventory
> investment could amount to $2500 but is more
likely to
> be only $100-$200.
>
> Note I have changed Maureens suggestion because I
> think it would be unfair not to have the best
possible
> price offered in the bulletin but I also think we
> should have it available for Christmas.
>

> --- Maureen Mark <mmark@rogers.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> >  As some of you know, Clarence Mahan has been
> > working  on a book for past year or so.  The
book is
> > done and will be  released by Kriger Press in
> > November.  The book 'Classic Irises  and the Men
and
> > Women who Created Them" is advertised in the
October
> >  bulletin.  The retail price is $87.50.
> >
> >  The Publication  Committee is proposing that
the
> > book be offered by the AIS Storefront  at a
discount
> > for the first year of publication.  We are able
> > get a 45% discount on the book for any volume
over
> > 50 copies.   Lower discounts are available for
> > smaller volumes.  Going with at  least 50
copies,
> > the costs are as follows:
> >
> >   Discount price: $48.125
> > Shipping for each 50 books: $85 ($1.70 each)
> >
> > Minimum cost of book: $49.825
> > Shipping within US: $3.50-$8.10
> >
> > Proposal
> >
> > Special  offer of $58.95 including shipping
until
> > Dec.1 with shipping from  Storefront around Dec.
15.
> > As the October bulletin had already been
printed by
> > the time we heard of this opportunity, we
propose to
> > get the  word out through iris editors and the
AIS
> > website.
> >
> > Post Xmas offer of $75 with shipping when 50
orders
> > received. Notice in January bulletin with a book
> > review.
> >
> > The Storefront would accumulate orders and then
> > arrange purchase of the books for shipping when
50
> > orders have been received.
> >
> >   This proposal has not been shared with the
> > Storefront.  My  apologies, John.  I was hoping
> > have time to give you advance  notice of this
idea
> > and get your feedback.
> >
> >   All of you, especially John, please feel free
> > poke holes in this  proposal.  It has been put
> > together on fairly short notice.   The purpose
is to
> > promote the book for Christmas sales at a price
very
> >  close to cost and then offer the book at a
> > discount.
> >
> >   I personally have not seen the book, but I
have
> > heard that those who have are ready with their
> > praise.
> >
> >   I'll be away for a few days and hope to see
some