Re: Handbook Revision

In a message dated 10/10/2006 10:44:17 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
ZEBRAIRIS1@aol.com writes:

Judging  is inherently subject, but is hopefully guided by knowledge,
experience,  consistency, and not the least, compassion for the exhibitor.
An iris
show is a major PR event for the benefit of local iris growers, the local
affiliate and ultimately the AIS.  This is not a venue for a  technical,
quantitative analysis, but rather a qualitative evaluation i.e.  Flowers
fresh and
undamaged? Speciman upright and well-proportioned?  Stalks and foliage
heathy? Also,
how can my judging encourage a novice  exhibitor to want to become a more
successful exhibitor? AS to how these  qualities stratify into blue, red,
white or
honorable mention awards,  first observe the overall quality of all the
exhibits and then consider  adjusting your statisfication standards
accordingly. (A
red at one show  just might be a blue at another.)  Arrogant, perfectionistic
judging  (save it for the garden) is likely to detract from our most visible
PR
opportunity and harm the local affiliate so should not be encouraged  within
our
handbook.

The above was written by Brad K. and I want to associate my name with his
wise words. Hurray for Brad! Clarence