AISLookup

Anner Whitehead sends:

Mrs. Gormley said:

"The privacy issue was first and foremost in mind when this tool was being designed-only the name, Region and expiration date are shown. There is NO
WAYto get any other information from this function. "

This is not exactly true. The first personal information given out is that the person named is a member of the AIS, which is already no one's business except those within AIS to whom you are already providing the information in other forms. The fact of membership in the Society has been published to the public, and in several instances, the state of residence is also clearly apparent, because the Region contains only that one state. If this linmited information is combined with any of several identity sniffing softwares available
for those who wish to check out their  fellow man on line, you have a
substantial potential breach of your  member's privacy.

As for the search capability on the lookup, well, it is just real flexible and powerful, isn't it? For instance, it will search without one of the fields defined. In other words, if I just indicate R2 but don't specify a name, I get a list of all the AIS members in NY state. Type "Lowe" in the name field, and specify no Region, and see Lowell, and Hallowell, and Flowers pop up. There is no end of potential for fun here. And, as Loberg says, right out front
of the webpage.

"AIS stopped making Membership lists available to "just anyone" many years
ago."

Yes, I believe I heard something about that. Such a swell idea. When I was AIS Membership Secretary there were all sorts of busybodies interested in getting information about their fellow members to which they were simply not entitled. This unwholesome interest is one reason I am concerned about this on-line development, which I consider downright reckless. Someone did check this
scheme against the European privacy laws, right?

The bottom line here is it is not for AIS to tell me, or any other member, where his or her comfort level should be with regard to our personal privacy. That is the member's call entirely. Remember, AIS members always have an OPT OUT option whether you choose to give them one or not: It is called opting
out of AIS membership.

Now, I understand from John that because of the spam problem participation by the non-registerd members of this list has become substantially more complicated. That is unfortunate. I have always been an outspoken proponent of encouraging participation by the membership in Society decision making, and tried to offer any insight I could, even when it was clear that the Board wasn't much interested in what I had to say. Be assured I won't freight him, or you,
again with my notes.

Anner Whitehead