Re: AIS Website

It seems to me that John has outlined a reasonable
approach to begin some brainstorming about what we
want in a website. I would encourage anyone that cares
to send him a private e-mail about what they would
like to see in an AIS website.  In that way more
people should feel free to respond and not influence
each others vote.

I utilize websites frequently from many different
organizations and the range in quality varies
enormously. What we have right now can definitely be
improved but has still many merits. I have yet to see
a website that has everything I would like. The
Daylily site has obviously been redone recently
because it is different than I remember it. As
technology and experience expand I expect every
website to improve. In this age of computers I dont
believe we have as many limitations that make us do
one thing or the other. This means that sites can be
extensive serving many purposes. Of course there can
be only one first page. I do find the feature of a new
picture every time one returns to the Daylily homepage
an attractive feature but there are many aspects of
many websites that I find appealing. I find the links
section of the AIS website useful much in the way I
would use a phone book. But my needs are probably
different than a new or non-members needs. I would
suggest that our members of Discuss look at a variety
of plant society websites and provide as much feedback
as possible. Too often only a vocal minority register
their likes and dislikes.