RE: Website and Statistics

I have been doing some 'research' into the differences between "static" and
"dynamic" websites.  "Static" websites are older and operate with servers.
"Dynamic" websites are newer and more preferred by the people creating things
now (hence the name dynamic?).  I compare their information properties like
"static" is a world map and "dynamic" is a department store advertisement.
The world map holds lots of information, but it changes very slowly, such as
when a new country emerges, or the boundaries change due to war.  The 'links'
could have some shared information, but for the most part, each country is
independent of the others, even though they may have a lot in common. That is
the way the AIS Website is. The department store advertisement changes weekly,
involves lots of information, and evolves due to seasonal merchandise,
overbuys, holidays, new store openings, etc.  All the sub departments in the
department store may have a connection (winter coats, swimwear, etc.), and
they are all under the same roof, even with multiple locations, so if there is
a sale, then ALL swimwear - men's, women's, teen's, children's, goes on sale
at once. This is what the website for the LA Arboretum is like - there are
multiple events occurring every month, and change is constant.  I know my
analogy is simplistic, but it works for me.

The AIS Website has lots of information, but the majority of it changes only
once a year, sometimes twice...Convention information, Photo Contest dates,
Regional and Affiliate locations.  The E Membership operates with its own
server, the archives,  the Storefront has its own server, the WIKI is
independent as well.  They all are under the umbrella, but their information
is not shared (like it is on a dynamic site). We made a huge leap when we
instituted the SEARCH box, because it made some things easier to navigate.
Placing an update to the menu tabs (also known as links - I found that out
too!) could make it easier for computer novices like me to navigate the
website by categorizing some of the information contained on the website into
logical/frequent areas.  The biggest 'complaint/comment' I received from the
RVPs  was that they could not find AISLookup and the RVP Handbook. Those
things are not difficult to find if you know where to look, it's just
navigating the site.

The cost of $750 for the update with an additional $450 for contingencies (in
case the BOD wants to add or change things) is a little on the high side
according to the people I talked to, but the work involved is not a mere 20 or
30 minutes - it would take time and requires that each "page" involved would
need changing, so the cost is in the upper range.  Remember, we are dealing
with volunteers and these "professional" website creators do this daily and
for a living.  I can't see the advantages of changing from a "static" to a
"dynamic" site for our uses, but I still have a "dumb" phone that my 10 year
old grandson taught me how to use the camera on it without reading any
manual!
I would like a few more 'links' on the homepage for easier navigation, rather
than have things like AISLookup under the News link.  If it costs a little
money, it would come out of the Electronics restricted fund and not affect the
AIS budget nor the bottom line.

Cheryl Deaton

> Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 13:03:04 -0400
> To: aisdiscuss@aisboard.org
> Subject: Re: [AISdiscuss] Website and Statistics
> From: 101p@rewrite.aisboard.org
>
> Thanks John for the data for the AIS website. Despite the problems that you
> hope to fix with the menu change as I pointed out in my posts the AIS
website
> is doing VERY well when compared with other plant societies. I base this on
> the ALEXA data which combines the AIS website and the wiki as a subdomain
and
> compares it to other sites. I think most people view this as one unit and I
> think that is proper. We are not competing with each other but must work
> together. It would appear that the wiki gets the majority of traffic. ALEXA
> showed that 82% of the traffic for the website went to the wiki. The Wiki
> shows that it sends 8% of it's traffic back to the website.
>
> I am glad you provided the definitions of the statistics in your chart
> becauseB some of the words are the same in the AWSTATS statistics but
defined
> slightly differently and so include different numbers. The two most
comparable
> were Pages/Month and Hits/Month. AWSTATS factors out all the unsuccessful
hits
> and does not include them listing them separately. It also distinguishes
> between hits and pages that were actually viewed by visitors and those that
> were viewed by Search Engines like Google that are updating their files. So
> compare the monthly data for April, I added back the search engines to give
> the totals which is what I believe you say Lunar Pages provided. For
example
> the website records 69,122 pages for April the wiki records 3,546,747
pages.
> The website records 1,117,182 hits for April and the wiki records 9,189,784
> hits without adding back the unsuccessful hits. The combined totals of the
> website and the wiki give us a very good ALEXA rating.

Not