Re: Website and Statistics

Thanks John for the data for the AIS website. Despite the problems that you
hope to fix with the menu change as I pointed out in my posts the AIS website
is doing VERY well when compared with other plant societies. I base this on
the ALEXA data which combines the AIS website and the wiki as a subdomain and
compares it to other sites. I think most people view this as one unit and I
think that is proper. We are not competing with each other but must work
together. It would appear that the wiki gets the majority of traffic. ALEXA
showed that 82% of the traffic for the website went to the wiki. The Wiki
shows that it sends 8% of it's traffic back to the website.

I am glad you provided the definitions of the statistics in your chart
becauseB some of the words are the same in the AWSTATS statistics but defined
slightly differently and so include different numbers. The two most comparable
were Pages/Month and Hits/Month. AWSTATS factors out all the unsuccessful hits
and does not include them listing them separately. It also distinguishes
between hits and pages that were actually viewed by visitors and those that
were viewed by Search Engines like Google that are updating their files. So to
compare the monthly data for April, I added back the search engines to give
the totals which is what I believe you say Lunar Pages provided. For example
the website records 69,122 pages for April the wiki records 3,546,747 pages.
The website records 1,117,182 hits for April and the wiki records 9,189,784
hits without adding back the unsuccessful hits. The combined totals of the
website and the wiki give us a very good ALEXA rating.