Re: AIS PayPal Webpage

On Jun 8, 2006, at 7:12 AM, Robt R Pries wrote:

John is correct in that every section and cooperating
society that I talked to at convention wishes to
participate just as they have participated in the past
in having their members able to join at the same time
as they are joining or renewing with AIS. That does
not mean that they are not considering setting up
their own PayPal accounts also. I talked with
representatives of SIGNA, The Dwarf Iris Society, The
Aril Society, the Siberian Society and all expected
they would also do their own. All have to yet discuss
this with their boards. Of course the Japanese Society
already has this. The DIS does not even have their
website running again but some officers expressed the
hope that they would have Paypal when that occurred.
I agree, many societies are thinking about having their own sites. That would not mean that they would not want to be part of the AIS PP page.

In anticipation of the question " Why doesn't AIS just link to the individual societies' PP page?" I offer the following:

I have been thinking about this problem and unfortunately I do not think that is a viable solution. The issue is that if there is a link on the AIS PP page to another society PP page it could take the user out of our context without completing a transaction. Suppose:

User signs up for AIS PP subscription and elects to "continue shopping"
User signs up for some Section PP subscription adding that subscription to their cart and elects to "continue shopping"

They never get to complete the transactions they have selected from the AIS PP page because they are not automatically taken back there. It might be possible (I am not sure) that when they are transferred to <other society> PP page that a new page would be opened, but at a minimum that would mean that the subscriber would have to complete two transactions.

If an <other society> doesn't want to have PP subscriptions on the AIS page, that is ok. We intend to maintain the membership page as it is today because some people will still want to pay by check and we can direct individuals to the <other society> main page from there.

The disadvantage(s) that an <other society> would have in having a subscriber use the AIS PP page are:

- at the completion of the process the subscriber is returned to the AIS page (probably the main page) instead of the <other society> home page.

- the <other society> doesn't get notification of the subscription until that AIS Memsec forwards the email to the <other society> membership secretary.

- Payment to the <other society> is not made typically until the end of the month.

in my personal opinion, I don't see the last two as significant. AIS Memsec is likely to forward the subscription information within a short time frame. The first issue can be easily rectified by he <other society> membership secretary emailing the new subscriber with a URL. Certainly using the AIS PP page or requiring subscribers to do a separate transaction is up to the individual other societies to decide what is important to them in terms of convenience. I have had one society say "If it loses us a membership because someone doesn't want to do 2 separate online transactions (that don't cost them anything), well, so be it. " which I personally find astounding, but it is up to them. (don't ask I am not going to tell>

It is important that AIS do as much as possible to
help our sections. It is similar to the the federal
government and the states. Some states lead the feds,
others profit from the experimentation of the leaders.
I believe it has only been about a month that SJI has
had their join button in place, but during this time
they have been gaining a steady stream of new members.
Any idea how many? How does that compare to the number that have in the past been signing up by mail?
(We can probably never know the answer to that but it would be interesting to have some hard data.)

For each day we wait to have a system in place we miss
potential membership. This is why I am so impatient. I
realize we are all volunteers and it is not just
John's responsibility to accomplish this. I suugested
this over a year ago and am very disappointed that it
has taken AIS this long, and still we do not have this
in place. I would rather see us actually do something,
then have a debate over the cents that is being
charged. I don't want this to sound like a blast at
John, his accomplishments for AIS have been enormous
and I have great respect for them. It is more a
frustration with our system. I understand the value of
deliberation. I am also guilty at times of being slow.
I hope that e-mail somehow can speed our progress of
keeping up with society.

--- John I Jones <jijones@usjoneses.com> wrote:

Of all the Sections and Cooperating Societies, only
the SJI has a
PayPal page. The ASI has a PayPal method but you do
it via email.

I believe SSI is planning on having a PayPal page on
their site.

Most that I have heard back from (SPCNI, SIGNA,
Dwarf, SSI, ASI [not
confirmed yet], Spuria, SJI [maybe]) want to be on
our page.

John