Re: Regional Iris reccommendations

In a message dated 7/20/2006 7:27:02 P.M. Central Standard Time,
rpries@sbcglobal.net writes:

Dear  Science Committee and others.

Tonight I received a call from the  Missouri Botanical
Gardens asking if I could provide a list of  Irises
that perform well in the St Louis area. Although it is
not hard  to create such a list, it does take some
thought and time. I believe their  intent is to have a
list showing the greatest diversity and  proven
cultivars. I see this as an opportunity for them to  be
recommending various types of Iris expanding the use
of plants within  this area.

In theory we already have such a list in the AIS TB Popularity Poll's top
100 TBs and the Sections' same lists of other types.  I don't believe it  wise
to do something else on a nationwide basis.  Locally the Regions can  make
their own decision regarding such a list.  Otherwise it becomes almost  political
when you don't list any of a prominent hybridizer's  cultivars that have won
national awards but simply won't grow in a particular  region.

Jim M.