From: "Robert Pries" <robertpries@embarqmail.com>
To: aisdiscuss@aisboard.org
Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 1:59:12 PM
Subject: Re: [AISdiscuss] AIS Silent Auction/Convention

The issue of the Silent auction and the Convention in my mind have a link that seems to be often overlooked. I view the Iris Society as a massive organization made up of the board, the regions, the affiliates, and the Sections. Too often I hear affiliates voice the idea that they could exist by themselves. Who needs AIS?. This same attitude can exist in regions and in sections. Instead of working together there is much interest in working separately. I fear that we may call ourselves an organization but often we work in a divided way. Even the board sometimes thinks as itself as something set apart. But absolutely none of these parts could carry out what the organization is capable of without working together. It seems a no brainer that yes we should help the ASI get as much as possible for their bequest. It seems a no brainer that the AIS should support the affiliate that takes on the convention in ways that takes on some of the risk. Of course the devil is always in the d!
etails. But no one respects any part of an organization that will not assume some risk in helping the other parts. I am glad to see the interest in providing this help already expressed. I hope we can hold onto those mindsets.