Re: AIS Silent Auction - your thoughts on this please

There is wisdom in what you say.

----- Original Message -----
From: cemahan@aol.com
To: aisdiscuss@aisboard.org
Sent: Wednesday, February 1, 2012 9:15:00 PM
Subject: Re: [AISdiscuss] AIS Silent Auction - your thoughts on this please

The AIS silent auction has had at least one donation of an oriiginal Dykes The
Genus Iris in the past. It was not in the best condition but brought a little
more than $1,700. It was about the year 2000 and I remember being surprised
because the condition was so poor. A few years earlier I had bought a copy in
excellent condition from a bookseller for less than $1,000.

I suggest giving space to ASI to offer the item for sale in the Bulletin
rather than set a precedent of allowing cooperating societies, affiliiates or
regions to sell their items in the AIS convention silent auction. We
initially set up the auction because AIS was broke. Dave Niswonger was
president at that time, and I remember well because it was my idea. Making
the auction more complex is in my opinion less than wise. I am not against
change but some change is better than other change. Clarence