Re: AIS Website

On Feb 11, 2008, at 11:56 AM, MORRISJE1@aol.com wrote:

What is the cost to become a "sponsored link?" I suspect many people don't have the patience to search to Page 7 to find AIS. They are more likely to
find AIS via the Schreiners Garden link.

Bob Pries explained Google AdWords (the mechanism that leads to being a sponsored link) at the Fall 2006 Board meeting.

Basically you bid for the best position in the list of the search results page. You pay everytime someone clicks on your link. The cost could be anywhere from $.05 to $50.00 per click-through depending on how high you want to be on the list.

When I searched on "Iris" I found the American Iris Society as the 3d listing on the second page.

Positioning is not constant. It depends on time of day, how many people are bidding for the best spots, and how they have their keywords set up.

It also depends on how well we have our metatags set up on our site (metatags are one of the things that the webcrawlers look at when rating your site along with some more and more sophisticated algorithms)

At any rate, the cost is not truly predictable and can be expensive.

Bob has been doing some experiments with it on a limited basis, and had a proposal for some specific landing pages within the AIS website to better manage the click-throughs.

John