Re: AIS Website

On Feb 12, 2008, at 3:39 PM, MORRISJE1@aol.com wrote:

Wow! Thanks for this information. Now if we just had something like this for all our past AIS Bulletins. The indexes are of some use but are very incomplete, dependent as they were on the individual data input person and their interpretation of what constituted an "article." Many, many "articles" were not in the Bulletin Table of Contents. I do a lot of historical writing and don't have all the past AIS Bulletins. Therefore, I frequently ask the AIS Librarian to research items for me out of the basement. Sometimes it takes two or three tries to get what should be there somewhere. Past complete official AIS Minutes (not edited or abridged versions usually in the Bulletins) and Committee Reports are problematic at best, completely missing at worst. Most people probably don't care, but as historical references they have some
importance to some of  us.

The problem is not having an engine that can create indexes or search pages and pages of information. The problem is getting all that printed material into digital format. At one time I scanned and converted the 1989 and 1979 Check Lists into digital form. Not an easy task and rife with errors. Sure there is the Google Book project, but they have resources we don't have. I did find a place that will scan books. $50 for the first 50 pages and $.35 per page after that. (I did not investigate exactly what you get back).

If someone has a suggestion on an alternate way to go, I think it would be invaluable. I have a set of bulletins from the Storefront that is not complete but extensive as a source.

John