Re: MG programs

In the new affiliate I've helped start this winter, there are several Master
Gardeners, who aren't necessarily experienced with irises but who have seen to
it that our meetings are announced in their MG newsletter.  They also asked
for posters from various horticultural clubs to be displayed at a recent
gardener's Sat. program held on the IL State Fair grounds in the U of I
Extension building, and we sent one.

It's my impression, however, that the "community service" they are obligated
to after graduation consists mainly of manning the telephones on a radio show,
to field questions from the public.  In doing that, they become part of the
University Extension Services.   If we could get our speakers into the
training that the MG's receive, that would be good, but they probably devote
only one of their several school sessions to perennials, and they wouldn't
want to give all of that session to one flower.

Our Carlinville, IL, garden was invited to be on a U of I Ext.-sponsored
garden tour in Macoupin Co. several years ago, ---held in the latter part of
June! Literally hundreds of people came through, and asked many questions of
me about the irises, and a good many came back in August, at my invitation, to
pick up free plants. Such contact is good, and what we're supposed to be
about. I'll see if I can find out whom we'd need to contact to become
considered as "trainers" for the MG's.

Nancy Pocklington, in cent. Ill.