Re: more logistics on Calendars

Hi Jill and all
The 2006 TURNER (12" x 12") calendars are only available through the ads in our bulletin OR from the Turner website. I would speculate that they were counting on much larger sales to our society which would have happened if we did not already have our own (cheaper) calendar. That said, I made it quite clear to them that our goal was to get these big calendars into the wholesale system(bookstores,etc.). They were very impressed with the final product and they would like to start promoting our calendar (using 2006 as a sample) in stores and shops this year. Speed is of the essence to get into the 2007 calendar wholesale market. They would like to start right away if AIS says "GO".
At this point, I have been delegated by the board to deal with the calendar company and I am very reluctant to get into a "design by committee" situation. I would prefer to deal with a "review committee" after the fact. I would certainly use other peoples photos, if offered, that were of sufficiently LARGE size for 12" x 12" cropped images. There is also a "copyright waived" issue with these photos.
LATE CALENDARS. The untimely illness and death of Olive Rice Waters last year had about a 3 month impact on the late production schedule of the 6" x 9" calendars and I am sure that early sales were hurt because of this delay. In addition, the Turner 12" x 12" calendars probably did have some impact on sales. We wont know how much. I think calendar sales the year before (2005) would be a better indicator of what we order. Reducing the quantity will only save pennies/calendar but we can do it. I will revisit this subject later this spring with the board before we order 2007 calendars. I would agree with Jill that we need to raise the price of the "Quantity of 10" calendars at the storefront for 2007 calendars. I would suggest $45.00 for lots of 10. This way, we (AIS members) can peddle them, wholesale, to garden centers for $5.00 each, then the garden centers can retail them for $9.50 (or less than $10.00) to the general public.
SUBJECT IDENTITY.
I can certainly identify plants "by catagory only" for purposes of aquainting the general public with iris types on the TURNER 12" x 12" calendars. Turner really likes the "mug shots".
The AIS 6" x 9" calendars subjects should be identified (based on input at the AIS board meeting) and should NOT BE AWARD-ELIGIBLE. Many of these may be garden scenes.

Jill Bonino wrote:

Hi Terry and everyone on Discuss...

First of all, I have not yet seen the larger Turner 2006 calendar. It never made it down here to California in any of the stores and calendar kiosks that are in our malls, and I really looked for it. Where did it go?

Second of all, I really like the smaller AIS printed version. I have kept them all over the last 8 years or so I have been a member.

However, speaking as the mean old Treasurer, is it worth the money to print and sell ourselves vs. getting a percentage of the sales from the Turner issue?

Some interesting facts...(rounded to nearest $100)

Cost of 3,500 copies of 2006 AIS calendar......................$7,600
(printing & layout only)

Sales of 2006 Calendar Oct 05 - Jan 4, 06..........................$5,000
(from John's Storefront reports)

As we all know, the value of the calendars decreases significantly after Jan 1. At this point, we have a $2,600 LOSS on the 2006 issue. John, am I missing anything here? You must have quite a few still in inventory?

Since the calendar is not part of the benefits we provide our members, can we afford this? If we still want to print the AIS calendar at a cost of between $2 and $2.50 per copy (including an estimate of mailing costs that are a part of each too), we must raise the selling price to at least cover our costs, knowing we will have some left over...Currently, we sell each copy for $6 (which should be enough) but most people/clubs buy at least 10 copies at $33 (or only $3.30 each) which isn't covering our costs. If we continue the calendar we must raise the price for 10 copies.

With the Turner issue we have no upfront costs...all we receive is whatever our percentage is from gross sales, is that right?

As for whether it is OK for Terry to include some of his intros in the calendar pictures, that's fine with me.

Happy Groundhog Day to one and all...

Jill