Re: Life Memberships

Greetings:
     The issue of whether or not to continue to offer Life Memberships is one
that cannot be handled in an off-hand or cavalier manner.   The AIS does have
the power (Robert's Rules of Order) to interpret its bylaws (within reason).
Regarding how Life Memberships are presented in the AIS Bylaws, to discontinue
them would require a Bylaws change by the Board.   The Board can change the
cost (fee, dues) without interfering with the Bylaws, but the Board cannot make
non-honorary Lifes unavailable without a Bylaws change.
     Regardless of how the AIS choses to handle Life Memberships in the
future, near or distant -- this is not an issue to decide through electronic
discussion -- for one, because there is an AIS bylaws issue; but importantly for
another, because it is a highly charged subject for many.
     Offering Life Membership is one of several issues (of potentially
institution altering ability) that should be approached in face to face meetings.
We of the Board need to allocate time when we meet   to approach these topics
and produce (if at all possible) some real action that progresses beyond
rhetoric.   We should not, however, consider any non-frivolous issue "closed
forever" just because it is brought before a meeting, is disapproved, or considered
to be inappropriate contemporarily. If we are a work in progress, then we
should always be willing to review past actions guided by the philosophy that
change is constant and evaluating its impact on our organization demands our
attention if relevant survival is to be achieved.
     I certainly do not wish to have the Board constantly reinventing the
wheel.   It is a maddening process of non-action. Because many, many things
change rapidly, the leaders of AIS must remain open to reevaluating positions and
"traditions" that may, in their old established form, impact the viability of
the organization.
     The Life Membership issue is one that will be discussed in a face to
face meeting (perhaps in Portland where there will be many, many other voices) --
not based on a hidden agenda to do away with offering new "Lifes" for sale --
but based on the philosophy that this is an important issue that, over time,
has an effect on the vitality of the organization and as such should never be
"taken for granted."
     Now, on to other things ... such as how to revitalize our declining
membership and revenues from all sources.   These are truly issues that impact the
vitality of this organization. Their seriousness cannot be stressed too
strongly and old methods of "increasing membership" will have to be seriously
augmented by new and realistic approaches both in the area of analyzing the
problems and implementing practical, workable solutions.

          Cheers!
               Jeanne