Re: Extra AIS teleconference Tues Sept 29 5 PM

Re: AIS judges' ballot, AIS judges votes, and the schedule.

As AIS Board members, we have a responsibility to make sure the organization not only survives but also thrives during challenging times.
We need to look at the full picture and have an understanding of what's good for all groups of people/members that make up AIS.
Because of this broad understanding and vision, some decisions made by the Board are looked as narrow by one group while widely accepted by another.
Regardless, the Board needs to keep focused on what's good for all.
Communication is the key to make sure everyone understands the Board's point of view and why some decisions are made the way they are.

It is of most importance that every year as many judges as possible get to vote .
Why? Because we spend an incredible amount of time and effort training and developing good judges.
We set up rules with the judges' help, we communicate the rules, and we oversee the voting process as much as possible .
When as many judges as possible get to vote, then we can be sure that any vote taken "really" represents their wishes.
If a low number of judges get to vote because of whatever impediments then to me that is not representative of the judges' vote.

Having said that... and also having read and heard the hybridizers' comments in their Manifesto, which were mainly focused on the registration process and are being addressed fully... my personal conclusion is that:
  1. There were good, justified reasons to cancel the 2020 awards, so I would rather look forward to doing processes more effectively in the future.
  2. A vote in the fall/winter and then again in the spring impacts the ability of judges to do so effectively; and it also impacts Gerry Snyder's workload.
  3. Due to everything explained, specially by Gerry, I believe it would be more effective for AIS to have only one ballot, and that the ballot should be published in the spring of 2021; and that AIS should take any necessary steps, in the 2021 ballot, to ameliorate any negative impact produced by the cancellation of the 2020 Awards.
I'm still open to listen to any ideas that may be expressed at tonight's meeting.

Hope this helps.

Thank you.

Andi Rivarola