Re: Catalog Scanning Project

What a great landfall of iris history for the AIS. Many thanks to Anne.
George Boyce

-----Original Message-----
From: John Jones
<100h@rewrite.aisboard.org>
To: aisdiscuss <aisdiscuss@aisboard.org>
Sent:
Mon, Sep 22, 2014 12:14 am
Subject: [AISdiscuss] Catalog Scanning Project
Over the years Mike and Anne Lowe collected a large repository of old iris
catalogs. The collection includes all the Schreiner and Cooley catalogs,
Muhlestein, Plough, Whiting and many others.

Anne has agreed to donate the
collection in Mike's honor (about 10 banker's
boxes) to a project for AIS to
non-destructively scan, OCR and convert to a searchable PDF all the catalogs
much as I did for the collection of AIS Bulletins.

To that end I have made a
Grant Request to the AIS Foundation to fund the
project.

Once the project
is completed the AIS Board can decide whether the files should
be made part
of the AIS Electronic Membership, or made available to the General
public
or...

I will keep you all informed when I hear from the foundation.

Thanks
John
AIS Registrar/Recorder
Chair AIS Electronic Services
sign-off this list, send email to the AIS Secretary