Re: DISASTER PLAN

John, please foward this to AISDiscuss. AMW

Mr. Hager said:

<<I know that when Anner Whitehead was membership secretary, she went to great lengths to document exactly what the job detailed.>>

Yes, this is correct. It had to be done. I also backed up routinely, and secured files off site.

True story:

When I took the job of AIS Membership Secretary, on the eve of the annual renewal season, accepting the baton from a fatigued ten-year incumbent, I took delivery of a wonky geriatric computer running the databases which in large measure sustained the Society in an archaic software, and a collection of truly superbly maintained membership and financial records, but I received no insights into the practicalities of the office, nor any written instructions whatsoever about how to do the job.

No calendar of duties. No compilation of AIS policy as regards Membership or the prerogatives of the Membership Secretary. No description of how the several databases were structured or deployed. No pointers as to the fiscal aspects of the office. No insider overview of how the Membership Secretary supported the Regions, the Sections, the Board, or other AIS departments. No instructions as to how to, for instance, enroll a new member, or maintain the Judges Roster, or compile the mailing list for the Bulletin.

The Treasurer made arrangements for my predecessor to be available to me for a while, and we made it through a hellish three months without dropping a stitch, but I resolved no one else would ever have that experience, and I understood clearly that AIS was vulnerable to meltdown if anything happened to me.

When I was able, I banged out a manual of policies and procedures of such specificity that, with it, a chimpanzee could have run the AIS Membership Office. It was not a polished document, for available time was short, but it did what had to be done.

Anent backups:

I always backed up the active member database at frequent intervals, typically daily. The most recent backups were stored on a zip disk in the office, and also emailed to my husband's office computer across town. He was the systems administrator at work so I knew that was secure. A complete archives on zip disk, including all databases, and also notes of enrollments of life members, Bulletin mailing lists, financial deposits, etc. was kept in my safety deposit box and updated as appropriate. I also stored a backup copy of the precious archaic software itself. Although there were hard copies of all financial records in the office, I scanned every check that passed through my hands, and also stored a scan of every bank deposit. Any email which needed to be archived, which was not much, was backed up in hard copy.

Redundency makes for enhanced peace of mind.

I believe there have been many changes, but it seems to me that if the AIS Membership Office could manage this during what was arguably its most overburdened era in recent memory, then it is reasonable to suggest that all AIS departments be held responsible for ensuring continuity of their core knowledge base, and security of their critical records.

Cordially,

Anner M. Whitehead