Re: DISASTER PLAN

I agree that disaster planning is a serious issue. My use of some far-fetched scenarios was only to take the edge off the fact that we are all mortal and vulnerable in some way. In todays society, everyone expects organizations to function, no matter what. But our human frailties can play havoc with a structure that has no redundancy. For a plant society that is in decline, we can not afford disasters that could loose us even more members. As we struggle to make changes that will revitalize our society, we need protocols in place that can ameliorate those unexpected assaults on our systems. Although we are no longer a leading plant society, since other groups are already adjusting to new realities, we need to keep our act together as we enter a new era. There is a great deal of promise that we could take a new and important role in the plant world, but if we are not prepared for the challenges that confront us we will never be able to move forward.

----- Original Message -----
From: "R. Dennis Hager" <hager@aredee.com>
To: aisdiscuss@aisboard.org
Sent: Wednesday, September 9, 2009 9:15:57 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [AISdiscuss] DISASTER PLAN

Bob, et al.

Disaster planning is a serious issue and I am glad that you have brought it
up. The AIS is a corporation. A corporation is an entity that functions like
a person, except that it should be designed to keep on going when the
originators die. To fail to address disaster planning in some form is a
serious flaw.

It is impossible to prepare for all contingencies, but at the very least the
plan should address preservation of data and clearly documenting procedures,
so that when a person who has key responsibility is unable to do the job,
somebody can step in to fill their position.

I know that when Anner Whitehead was membership secretary, she went to great
lengths to document exactly what the job entailed. Likewise, when Catherine
Button was Treasurer/Membership Secretary of the SJI, she did the same
thing. Both are to be commended.

Aside from data preservation, organizational structure should be addressed.
What happens if key persons on the Board are unable to function? Is there a
clear chain of command? Is it sanctioned? Is there a clear mechanism to fill
all vacancies? What if there are simultaneous key vacancies?

Having set through more than my share of meetings on disaster planning (in
both healthcare and governmental settings), I can assure you that in a epic
disaster, the workings of the AIS are insignificant. Too much planning and
redundancy is very expensive and time consuming. It is also possible (and
very likely) that the process will be derailed by a special interest. I saw
this in meetings I attended concerning county-based planning for the avian
influenza threat. One hospital-based physician insisted that hospital triage
was the ONLY important issue, while most attendees were in agreement that
the vast majority of cases would never get to the hospital and that most
treatment would be community-based. More incredible was the fact that I sat
through 2 hours of this doc going back to "hospital triage" while everybody
else in the room was saying the patients would not get to the hospital. Even
as outspoken as I am, I couldn't get him to understand that he wouldn't be
seeing the patients at the hospital. Go figure.

(Off my soapbox one more time)

Dennis Hager