Re: DISASTER PLAN

I am a bit surprised at that. Of all the files I have put up on the site, none of the data in the files has caused me a problem. The file names have a restricted character set and that causes me a lot of heartburn.

I will send you the FTP info privately.

John
On Sep 10, 2009, at 11:11 AM, AIS Membership Secretary wrote:

The last several times I tried to use the AIS FTP site the data didn't download due to a problem with it recognizing some of the characters embedded in the data. This was 3 to 5 years ago and I haven't tried it since. When you find the time please send me the ftp site address and password again and I'll retry.

-----Original Message-----
From: John I Jones <jijones@usjoneses.com>
Sent: Sep 9, 2009 4:26 PM
To: aisdiscuss@aisboard.org
Subject: Re: [AISdiscuss] DISASTER PLAN

Some years ago I set up (free)  FTP sites for the Treasurer,
Secretary, and Membership Secretary use as off site backup locations.
(actually I think I offered anyone that wanted it the capability)

I don't know if they are being used. Using an FTP process requires a
utility program to manage the uploading and many of them are
available for free. But the discipline has to be in place to maintain
the backup.

There are also services available (mostly for a fee) that will
automatically backup files.

The Lowes periodically send me a copy of the registration database to
use with irisregister, but as often as the registration changes, it
should be backed up on a daily basis.  Part of the problem with the
Registrar informationis that the Lowes have a slow internet
connection which makes sending large files problematic.

A policy would not be difficult to create.

How about "Every AIS Officer, Administrative Officer,  Director,
Committee Chair,  and paid position will maintain an off site backup
of all AIS information.
(I admit to, and apologize for, being a little flip here but you get
the idea)

Having a policy is one thing. Having people adhere to it is another.

John