RE: DISASTER PLAN

Hi all,

   The idea of having a designated backup person for some of the critical AIS
jobs was discussed just after the death of Mary Brown (the AIS Membership
Secretary).  It was a great idea, but for most of the AIS positions, it was
never implemented.  Yes, we do have "job descriptions" for our various
positions in a booklet somewhere, but there is nothing that can beat "hands on
training" by those who know and expertly do their jobs on a regular basis.

Susan

> Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 19:47:08 -0400
> Subject: Re: [AISdiscuss] DISASTER PLAN
> From: jody.nolin@gmail.com
> To: aisdiscuss@aisboard.org
>
> Speaking personally, (and really, what else can one do?), I had a
> scare when my hard drive started growling one day. We bought a backup
> drive for the 4 or 5 PCs that we have at home, and some automatic
> backup software. I just knew that Rita would kill me if I lost the
> SJI membership and financial data.....if I wasn't already dead.
> This doesn't protect us from a meteorite, or suddenly obsolete
> software, but is a small step we can take.
> I really like the idea of redundancy for data storage.
> And the idea of written procedures that are shared.
>
> We could take some preliminary steps toward this by designating backup
> delegates and sharing data and procedures with them. This might buy
> us some time while a grand plan is worked out.
>

> On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 1:51 PM, Robert Pries <robertpries@embarqmail.com>
wrote:
> > Redundancy Memo: Disaster Plan

> > An organization the size of AIS should have a disaster plan. Redundancy
in
> > some positions is one way of coping. Another is back-ups of critical
data.
> > What if The Lowes were struck by a meteorite. do we have a back-up of the
> > checklists off site. What if California had their great earthquake is
there a
> > copy at another site of our financial records. What if the memberships
> > chairb s house burned down do we have offsite a copy of membership
records.
> > What if the exhibitions chair went into a coma from a car wreck, etc etc.
> > It seems to me we are vulnerable as an organization if we donb t have
> > suitable back-up and redundancy policies that are outlined and maintained.
> > HIS SHOULD BE SOMETHING WE COULD WORK OUT BEFORE THE BOARD MEETING.

> > To sign-off this list, send email to the AIS Secretary
> > <aissecretary@irises.org>
> > The archives for AISDiscuss are at:
> > http://www.aisboard.org/lists/aisdiscuss/

Windows Live: Make it easier for your friends to see what youre up to on
Facebook.
http://windowslive.com/Campaign/SocialNetworking?ocid=PID23285::T:WLMTAGL:ON:
WL:en-US:SI_SB_facebook:082009