Proposal for discussion -- Clarence's new book

Hi all,

 As some of you know, Clarence Mahan has been working  on a book for past year or so.  The book is done and will be  released by Kriger Press in November.  The book 'Classic Irises  and the Men and Women who Created Them" is advertised in the October  bulletin.  The retail price is $87.50.

 The Publication  Committee is proposing that the book be offered by the AIS Storefront  at a discount for the first year of publication.  We are able to  get a 45% discount on the book for any volume over 50 copies.   Lower discounts are available for smaller volumes.  Going with at  least 50 copies, the costs are as follows:

  Discount price: $48.125
Shipping for each 50 books: $85 ($1.70 each)

Minimum cost of book: $49.825
Shipping within US: $3.50-$8.10

Proposal

Special  offer of $58.95 including shipping until Dec.1 with shipping from  Storefront around Dec. 15. As the October bulletin had already been  printed by the time we heard of this opportunity, we propose to get the  word out through iris editors and the AIS website.

Post Xmas offer of $75 with shipping when 50 orders received. Notice in January bulletin with a book review.

The Storefront would accumulate orders and then arrange purchase of the books for shipping when 50 orders have been received.

  This proposal has not been shared with the Storefront.  My  apologies, John.  I was hoping to have time to give you advance  notice of this idea and get your feedback.

  All of you, especially John, please feel free to poke holes in this  proposal.  It has been put together on fairly short notice.   The purpose is to promote the book for Christmas sales at a price very  close to cost and then offer the book at a discount.

  I personally have not seen the book, but I have heard that those who have are ready with their praise.

  I'll be away for a few days and hope to see some discussion when I get back.

  Maureen Mark
  Chair, Publications Committee