Re: AIS Change in Officers/CIP Questions

In a message dated 10/3/2005 8:21:35 PM Central Standard Time,
deatons@earthlink.net writes:

Hi  Jill,
First, I would like to know if all Classroom Iris Projects are funded  from
the youth general fund money, and what exactly my budget is supposed  to
cover.  If it is mailings, printing, etc., then I need an increase  to $2000.
If I fund or partially fund CIPs then I will need much  more.  I have had a
tentative request to fund a new CIP for  @$500.  Also, does the Clarke
Cosgrove Fund only cover the cost of the  prizes for the Youth winners, or
does it also cover the cost of the  printing and mailing of the nomination
letters to the judges?  None of  this has ever been explained to me
satisfactorily.  Thanks  Jill.
Cheryl

Cheryl and all,

Hello all.  Just back from making a presentation at Region 1 Fall  Meeting.
Great trip.  Great food.  Great people.

It is good that you are asking questions as AIS Youth Chairman.  It is  hard
to learn all the nitty gritty details just as it is for Tom Gormley as  AIS
Membership Chairman.

No, the Classroom Iris Projects are not funded from the youth general fund
money.  First and foremost, the CIP Fund is only for  paying the AIS dues of
LEADERS (teachers, Scout leaders, 4-H leaders, etc.) of  CIPs -- not the dues of
youths.  The youth dues are  usually paid by the sponsoring iris club, at
least for the first couple of  years.  After that, youths can cover their own
dues by selling the extra  rhizomes from their iris gardens, ideally located on
the school campus or at the  home of the group leader in the case of the
Scouts.  With     4-H, the gardens are at the homes of the individual 4-H member,
but the group  could certainly get together for an iris sale to earn their dues.

My wife Jean tells me the rule is -- as soon as the youth dues are in the
AIS Membership Office, THEN the AIS Youth Chairman alerts the AIS Treasurer to
pay the Teacher/Leader dues for the CIP out of the CIP fund.  It is AIS
paying AIS, a transfer from the CIP fund to the AIS general fund.   Unfortuately
Jay must have forgotten the procedure as a Southview School  Teacher, Crystal
Elze, received a check from Jay and she asked Jean, "What  am I supposed to do
with this?"  We will void it and return it to  Jay.  Crystal has had CIP
students in AIS for two years  previously.  Their dues are paid by one of our local
affiliates.  AIS  needs to pay Crystal Elze's dues (fund transfer) -- but not
until the CIP  student's dues from the affiliate reach AIS Membership Chairman
Tom  Gormley.

As to your question regarding the Clarke Cosgrove Fund, it is for the cost
of the prizes for the Youth winners only.  All of your other expenses,
printing The Iris Fan, copies, postage, supplies, etc. are to be  included in your
general budget request.

I hope this explains it to you adequately.

Jim Morris
AIS Director