From: Susan Boyce <irisgal@hotmail.com>
To: aisdiscuss <aisdiscuss@aisboard.org>
Sent: Mon, Nov 23, 2009 11:33 pm
Subject: RE: [AISdiscuss] Motion for library exhibits

Hi all,
   I thought that I would throw my 2 cents worth in and voice my opinion.
   The proposal of a traveling library is nice, but I think that we are
utting the cart before the horse.  I really think that we need to have an ad
oc committee study for 6 months or so, first before we decide on a motion
ike this.  There are way too many unanswered questions that an ad hoc
ommittee would be able to research and get concrete answers to.
   Some of my concerns are:
1st COST,  We need to nail down the real cost of this.  How much would it
cost
o ship out a display like this?  Will said that $500 would be needed for a
mall display.  What would the cost be for a larger display?  Do we now, or
ill we in the future have this kind of money to fund it?  Would we need
dditional insurance coverage to protect it?  With our current economy and
udget crunch, could the money needed to fund this project be used elsewhere
n a more critical area of the AIS?
2nd REALITY.  Are places like Presby gardens and Huntington gardens really
ommitted and ready to sign on the dotted line to take on the financial and
ecurity responsibilities to having a display like this?  Or is this just
umors and wishful thinking that they might want a library display at their
acilities?
3rd SECURITY.  Is this display going to be under lock and key, glass
displays,
r is it going to be out in the open for any "sticky fingered" visitor who
ight want to add one or more items to their own personal collection?  This
ight be a huge temptation for a visitor in a sparsely visited building.
nfortunately in our day and age, theft is a huge problem and if it is stolen,
t will be gone forever.  Just look what happened to a piece of jewelry that
as stolen at the AIS silent auction with alot of people around.
   I really think that we need to take a step back and address these issues
irst before the board makes a long lasting decision on this.  We as the
eadership, need to be fiscally responsible to our membership and we cannot be
ontrolled by quick, heavy handed tactics.  We really don't want to jump into
 pond with both feet, just to find out that the pond is really quicksand.
Susan