RE: Motion for library exhibits Reply part one

Gary,

I agree that the traveling library exhibits is an attractive idea.  My concern
is to the implementation when we are dealing with a financial deficit.  Bob
Pries admitted in a previous email that he knew of people who did not TRUST
the AIS Board to handle their donations/bequests in a competent manner, so
they went elsewhere.

We may not be in a position to request grants, but WHAT DO WE NEED TO DO TO
GET IN THAT POSITION????  Are there grants out there that we could apply for
(such as Pell grants that basically require that you attend a school and are
breathing) and who would know this?  How could we find out? Is there anyone in
our organization that deals with grant applications?  Bob Pries has mentioned
over and over that we need to raise funds and he is correct.  The question is
how?

Cheryl

> [...]
> Subject: RE: [AISdiscuss] Motion for library exhibits Reply part one
> To: aisdiscuss@aisboard.org
>
> Greetings,
>
> I personally think Bob's motion to create travelling library exhibits is
both
> interesting and workable. It obviously will take some thought, but it
> certainly could showcase The AIS and AIS history to the public in ways not
> done before, and reach new audiences. I know there are collections of all
> sorts of iris artifacts, memorabilia, manuscripts, etc out there, and I
know
> that some of those collections may be in need of a home at some point.
> We should be ready to receive some of those collections at the appropriate
> time.
>
> I agree with Bob that currently the AIS is not structured to meet granting
> agency requirements. Sure, it would be great to be able to apply for
grants,
> get money to procure, archive and conserve some of the iris memorabilia or
> library collections out there, but we do not have any of the basic
structure
> in place to handle grants. We do have the Library collection and storage
area
> in Salem, and a volunteer librarian who does a very good job with the
> resources at her disposal, but we certainly are not equipped to apply for
> grants, and then expect to actually receive the grant money and be able to
> carry out the work involved, write reports, etc. Maybe someday, we will be
in
> the position to be able to pursue educational grants, but we're certainly
not
> in that position now. In the meantime, I think the travelling exhibits, if
> they are done well and are effective, might actually make us much more
> attractive for grant money.
>
> I have to say that I am completely surprised at the strident lecture in the
> paragraphs below. Anyone who has paid even minimal attention over the past
> few years knows that Bob Pries has brought forth more ideas and proposals
than
> the vast majority of AIS Board members. And I do not think for even a
> nanosecond that Bob Pries has ever "copped out" on an issue or failed to
bring
> it to the attention of the AIS Board of Directors when he thought it needed
> be brought up. No where in Bob's comments did he mention knowing specifics
> about a particular grant that we might apply for. I believe he was talking
> about generalities in discussing funding sources, but not any specific
> grant. I realize that all of us have our opinions on every topic brought
> forth, and we may not agree with each other on certain points. But, it is
> completely beyond me how anyone of us can lecture Bob Pries for not doing
> his share in promoting The American
> Iris Society, or in bringing his ideas to the Board.

Eastern

http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/windows-7/default.aspx?ocid=PID24727::T:WLMT

http://www.bing.com/search?q=restaurants&form=MFESRP&publ=WLHMTAG&crea=TEXT_M

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141665/direct/01/