Thoughts

Last night I attended a lecture by an old friend from Missouri who was
speaking on The Flora of China project, Nic is the co-director. He explained
the organization of the project its goals and how they were met and evaluated.
I struck me how well organized this non profit organization venture was and
how dissimilar it is to how the Iris Society and for that matter any of my
projects are organized. When Nic was showing credits to donors The American
Orchid Society jumped out at me. B  It was the only plant society listed.
Somehow I wish the American Iris Society would be in the same class. This
morning I saw Dennis Hagerbs links to how a successful non profit
organization is structured and functions. I admit on the first reading my eyes
glazed over. Understanding organizational structure is mind boggling. Yet the
more I studied the chart and discussion the more I felt that if AIS could ever
get there it would be a very successful organization. But that is the
challenge. I am not sure I can see a path to ever make this happen. I wonder
if anyone on the board took the time to read it. It certainly made me feel
quite inadequate to being a board member. It also demands that there be a
great deal of cooperative effort. I donbt believe my desire to improve could
work unless the rest of you would help me and vice-versa.