Foward From Anner Whitehead

Begin forwarded message:

From: ChatOWhitehall@aol.com
Date: November 20, 2009 9:10:09 AM PST
To: jijones@usjoneses.com
Subject: Please foward to AISDiscuss

Dear John, please forward to AISDiscuss.

Greetings.

I'd like to speak to a couple of questions on the table, please.

First, with regard to this matter of grants. This is not the first time the subject has been raised. I know this because I raised it some years ago myself.

I was, and am, concerned about the conservatorial status of the material in the AIS Library, and about effecting some sorts of mechanisms to enhance access by the members. I did some research on the matter, and concluded that AIS was well poised to apply for grants, preponderantly from private sector, and possibly the Gates Foundation, to underwrite, at the least, purchase of equipment to digitize and so back up some of the paper, and possibly foot the bill for some professional conservatorial attention for fragile items of great importance.

I communicated then with someone in a position to act, and, as I deduced from the minutes of a subsequent Board Meeting, the then AIS Librarian was apparently directed to investigate the potential of "government grants." His initial investigations apparently did not lead him to a conviction that further exertions would redeem the effort involved, so the matter, so far as I am aware, was dropped. I thought this was lamentable then, and I think it now.

The world has changed. Not only has the economic situation shifted, but individuals and organizations have been going to town with scanners and cameras for a decade, so that it might well be more difficult to make a case that the collections of the AIS are unique, and thus inherently worthy.

But, thinking positively, if the Society does want to apply for grants, and I would encourage you to do so, you will have to define a concrete need that money can solve, define a project which can be articulated persuasively, and then you must figure out who among those with money to distribute may be interested in supporting your sort of goal. You must then master the appropriate rituals of application, and convince the sources of funding to support you. You will be in heavy competetion for limited and shrinking resources, and you will get precisely nowhere by saying we are a special case because we think so and we want operating funds.

Now, I have a pretty good idea of some of the holdings in the AIS Library because I asked the Librarian for an electronic copy of the inventory about a decade ago when I assumed Editorship of the New Chronicles, a responsibility I was reluctantly compelled to relinquish when I took over as Membership Secretary. But the record shows that other material arguably should be there which, I have in past been informed, is not. Some materials were damaged in storage, of course, and there may have been losses due to natural agents or human error, but I am speaking, for instance of those art works, prints and paintings, bronze plates etc, and personal documents donated by Mrs. Peckham as discussed in her obituary in the BAIS. Where is this stuff? There may be more examples.

I think, then, that if the Society cannot fully satisfy itself that all its treasures are accounted for, and their physical conditions assessed, with the collection formally inventoried, and all simple conservation issues addressed, then that goal needs attended to before you proceed further to engage in large projects involving the Library. These are Society assets, after all.

I also think that before you decide to expend the resources to design traveling exhibits, you should do a feasibility study covering all aspects of that issue. And if I may,I think it would be well to include the Librarian in these discussions from the get go, rather than just deciding to heap on more work without knowing whether the idea is inherently unworkable or whether the Librarian is able and willing to undertake the chore.

One thing I --and others, I assure you-- do not admire about the way the Board has exercised its prerogatives in past is the way that it will simply vote more duties without any discussion of practicalities, or without discussing it with the person who will actually have to do the work. Nor is care invariably taken to avoid blindsiding the position holder in these cases. Quite aside from the fact that the person doing the work is likely to be among the soundest sources of information about practicalities and potential unintended consequences, it is simply neither necessary nor courteous to proceed in that manner, especially given most of your personnel are volunteers, or nearly so.

So, returning to these exhibits: I think the feasibility study needs to focus first, in a general way, on identify what you have to offer that is truly unique and of broad interest, and to whom you would like to send it. After you identify potential exhibition venues, you must ask them whether they actually have any interest in partnering with you, which will involve the question of whether they have the resources necessary to make use of what you propose to pull together and send out.

If there is interest, and those interested are willing to mount a traveling exhibit, and offer publicity--who pays?--and put up with any visiting public, and deal with freight issues--who pays?-- etc etc etc, then you will need to decide how to produce a fully professional curated display, which will need to be designed, with dedicated fitted crates--what about climate control?-- and so forth, for travel. This is likely to be an expensive and intricate production, and it seems obvious you cannot make it happen by waving an enthusiastic hand in the air.

About the those potential exhibition venues: Money is tight and library and museum staffs are skeletal. If my information is correct, Cornell has sent some 400 library workers out to pasture in recent months, including many professionals. My friend at the Bailey Hortorium, a distinguished woman known far and wide in the horticultural research community for many years, has more or less become a part time clerk there, and the great catalog collection has been consigned to a vault. Another friend, the Director of the Center for Historic Plants at Monticello, recently found her job summarily abolished after 17 years, and she now has a part time curatorship while the Center is being reoriented from research to a retail operation. The archives and catalog collection of the Massachusetts Horticultural Society are stored off site, and the financial situation there is so dire that there is no one available who can retrieve them for any researcher and volunteers have to attend to correspondence. This last according to an email I received yesterday in response to my inquiry about an item I needed to consult. Elsewhere, may people who still have jobs are often doing the work of several dismissed colleagues, and are feeling the strain.

So the question of who will be available to deal with your exhibition on the other end is very real. And of course, many of the libraries in question own collections equal to that of the AIS, or nearly so, and have missions of their own to carry forth, and grants that they themselves want to get based on their inventive use of their own collections, and so forth. MOBOT leaps to mind.

Because money is so tight for many educational institutions, it is not, I think, likely one can successfully seek to hitch AIS's pressing needs to someone else's well established, but possibly precarious star. Indeed, some might suggest it would be well to be mindful of other organizations being cynically interested in solving their own problems with AIS' resources, like the Hager money, not to put too crass a point on it.

As for assuming you can pass responsibilities on to the local societies, I'd like to remind you that not every AIS member is active in a local society. I haven't been for many years. We hear all the time that iris folks are the best folks but some of them are not, and some affiliates are just ossified or disfunctional, and it might be well to bear that in mind, because I know for a fact, and from the horse's mouthes, that it is a factor in your falling membership. You cannot do much about this except remember, always, that a bad local membership experience may potentially be redeemed by offering a national membership experience which is rewarding and interesting and diverse enough to compensate. I have also concluded that many of the established processes and rituals and activities of the AIS are so archaic as to be quaint and horticulturally irrelevant to many gardeners, which puts potential members off, probably including interesting individualistic cranks who might have useful creative ideas. But all that is a subject for another day.

In summation, I think you need to identify and salute your real assets-- including your dedicated workers-- and acknowlege your real limitations and challenges-- which I do not think still include a pervasive resistance to change and an ignorance of the digital world-- and you should pursue coarses of action which are well researched and well thought out, with all due attention given, in advance, to practicalities, including bottom line money issues.

Good minds, fortunately, are something there are plenty of in AIS, and there are fine venues of sharing information and kicking ideas around to see what, collectively is deemed sound and worthy of further attention, so that there can be no reason whatsoever to short the research and investigative processes of project development.

I repeat: You cannot successfully implement elaborate and possibly impractical schemes by simply voting. That is just making talk happen. And you are going to have to find a means of discussing hard practicalities without getting bogged down in personalities. Every member is an equal, and all AIS Members, and the AIS Board uniquely, have a right and a duty to ask the hardest questions they can think of when the very future of the Society is at stake. Any proposer of any substantial idea for change, or any drain on the finite Society resources, and especially the proposer of any elaborate project or scheme founded squarely on facts and assumptions not yet in evidence, should anticipate these questions, and be prepared to supply credible answers.

Cordially,

Anner Whitehead