Re: AIS: Clarification: Storefront and Mahan's Book

In a message dated 11/20/2006 11:00:47 PM Eastern Standard Time,
rpries@sbcglobal.net writes:

<<But if people can make suggestions ahead of
time things can  go more smoothly. It is not my job to
think of everything and this is the  members society so
suggestions must come from each and everyone.  >>

I assure you, Mr. Pries, I  am not suggesting you are charged with the duty
of thinking of  everything for AIS.

In fact, this book project is something I'd have  expected the Storefront to
manage. I do confess I would have preferred to  see AIS make a little money on
the deal, but, in lieu of crass profit, I  suppose avoidance of financial
risk is much to be  celebrated.

I do think it would be well to draft any further announcements, or  press
releases, and most especially the offer published in the  January 2007 Bulletin,
very carefully to head off unintended  consequences--- the other sorts of
risks, as it  were.

I would not leave too narrow a window of opportunity to  purchase, nor would
I leave one too  wide. I think it is entirely possible that some members will
not see the  January Bulletin before mid-February, so that a reasonable, and
fair, cutoff date for AIS' receipt of an order--defined  as full payment in
Ludi's hand-- might be 1 April,  assuming your arrangement with the publisher,
and the AIS  Treasurer's fiscal calendar, accomodates such timing.

I would state in all offers that sales are to be  considered final, but I
would also be prepared to deal with the  ramifications of orders lost or damaged
in transit to the purchaser. The  binding on the book is such that it will be
necessary to pack it very  carefully to avoid marring.

And these, Mr. Pries, are my final suggestions on this  matter.

<<We are all just individuals trying to do the best we  can.

Indeed.

Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA