Re: 2006 Spring Insurance Report

In a message dated 5/8/2006 12:46:37 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
gerrysnyder@comcast.net writes:

no No  NO!!!!

Clarence and others, please remember that the insurance protects  us (AIS
Central) and not just them (clubs, regions, ...) Lack of insurance  does
not imply lack of responsibility. If a club chooses not to have
insurance, and a suit arises from an accident at a show of theirs (an
official AIS event), AIS will be one of the sued parties, insurance or
no. Even if some company will write such a policy (and Michelle has been
told that the current carrier won't), we don't want it.

Partial  coverage is _not_ an option we should  pursue.

Gerry

Agreed!!!  As a retired Insurance professional with credentials  out the
yazoo (CPCU, etc), I know Michelle and Gerry are absolutely  correct.  There is no
"severability" in an organization like this and any  insurance company that
would insure under such circumstances would be "suspect"  because it wouldn't
hold up in Court.  I could quote all kinds of boring  insurance law and Bob
Plank could quote you even more legal precedents but  unless you need a sleeping
potion, you don't want to hear them!  But if you  do, let me know and I can
give you the gory details.

Either AIS has liability insurance for all its function and "members",
whether AIS or just Affiliate non AIS members, or it doesn't have  any!

I am glad to see so much thought and suggestions going into this topic
because it is REALLY important to the life of AIS as we know it.

Rita  Gormley
Region 18 RVP, (CPCU, AU, AAI, ARM, yadda yadda)
Cedar Hill,  MO
AIS Region 18, Zone  5
http://www.gormleygreenery.com/