Re: Operations Manual?

I realize the concept of a wiki is new to many. And sometimes we are frightened by new things. Because we do not know, we are afraid that we have no control over these new things. That is not true. In some senses the wiki is actually more secure than the website. Every time a page is changed the old page remains in the archive and the new page appears with the name of the person who changed it, the date, and the changes. The entire history of a page can be viewed easily. The website on the other hand often does not show how long it has been since a page was changed or who changed it. Of course that can and sometimes does appear at the bottom of the page but only if the webmaster types it in.

The wiki is a tool for collaboration. Its structure says to people that they can be a part of this, whether in practice that really happens or not. The website is an edifice that has a structure of webmaster control. Its format says, this is what we want you to see and nothing more. There may be a single gatekeeper. A finished document that is not expected to change works well on a website. But if we want a group of officers working together in a dynamic way the wiki works as a better format. Of course if we are not interested in collaboration and only wish to reveal our final edict, then the website is best. In a dynamic organization they both have a place.

When the operations manual was presented over two years ago on the wiki, everyone at the meeting was advised that they could change their job descriptions, and either I would give them those editing privileges, or I would put it up for them. There was no assignment of a new person to replace Jeanne Plank after she had me put the manual on the wiki. I only agreed to making changes as they were presented to me. A lot of time was spent on this at the board meeting and if those messages did not get out into the minutes, then that is not my responsibility. Frankly I have more than enough to do, that I do not need the extra work and it is not my job to solicit this information. But I do think the wiki by its very nature is more responsive to change than the website. If we are to grow as an organization we need to use the tools that allow us to do so.

 Since the website is no more secure than the wiki, that, is not an issue. I can only surmise that objections are based more on the false idea that I might control what happens and that they trust the webmaster more. Frankly I would not be so stupid as to alter what someone has sent, since my name would be attached to that entry.

The wiki and the website are out there for the world to see. Most people do not distinguish between what is on the website and what is on the wiki, they are all part of our digital face.  Actually the wiki can be segmented such that some areas are not visible during collaborative periods. There is little review it seems for much of what goes onto the website. You would be amazed at how much review the wiki receives. Since they both are our face to the world, I think it would be good to have more review of the website. But I am not proposing this because it takes extra work and I think we are already stretched there. I do think it would be great to have an individual dedicated to checking and updating information on the website. It is terribly annoying when one tries to use an e-mail address or phone numbers listed and they do not work. There are 450 users of the Encyclopedia that advise me of problems, but one to oversee the accuracy of the website.

I realize that I am not appreciated for my calling attention to problems. If we are to survive as an organization in this constantly changing world, we need to embrace tools that can lead to collaborative change.