Re: Motion for Strategic Planning Committee

All,

I agree with someone who previously stated that they believe this should be
a Standing committee rather than an Ad Hoc committee.  I also agree with  Jody
that a clear purpose needs to be defined for the committee (perhaps that
will be part of the committee's charter).

My experience with strategic planning is in corporate  America (McDonnell
Douglas) where it was a VP position reporting directly  to the chairman of the
board.  However, every function, be it engineering,  finance, manufacturing
operations, product development, etc., set long term  goals as well as short term
goals, inputted meaningful info upward and was  expected to brain storm and
question any departmental, divisional or  corporate marching orders.  The whole
process was amazingly open to debate  and many great ideas came from the rank
and file.  This process was  successful in taking the corporation from a small
regional subcontractor on prop  airplanes through to jets, missiles,
spacecraft, large boosters and much  more.

The point is that irregardless of delegation to a committee, strategic
planning is part of everyone's responsibility and input should be solicited from
all.  In an era of cell phones, laptops and internet centric fixation the
American Daffodil Society has actually reversed its two decade old membership
decline.  This is largely attributed to their rather recent development and
implementation of their DaffSeek database of 29,000 cultivars with  pictures.
This was and is a major effort to visually  depict all species and named
cultivars and make it available free to any and  all.  It has generated more interest
in daffodils than any membership  campaign, daffodil show or any of their
publications.  Granted ADS is small  (1,490) compared to AIS but a 71% increase in
membership in five years is  remarkable in a time when all organizations are
in membership decline.

Food for thought.

Jim Morris

In a message dated 3/20/2009 8:39:16 A.M. Central Standard Time,