RE: Approval of correxted minutes

Hi all,
   Since I am the Recording Secretary, I feel that I must respond.
   First, since I AM the Recording Secretary, I take great pride in the work
that I do.  I have served AIS for 8 plus years in this position, and I have
done the board meeting minutes for 17 Board meetings.  I strive to honestly
and accurately report the conversations and events that take place at the
board meetings.  When I work on the board meeting minutes, I follow the tapes
very closely for what was said. I listen and re-listen to the tapes several
times.  At times I have re-listened to specific parts of the tapes 8 or 9 or
even 10 times to insure that I accurately type what was said.   I was taught
by Jeanne Clay Plank, who was a recording secretary for AIS for a couple of
years, and she was taught by Claire Barr, who was also the recording secretary
for the AIS for several years.
   Second, after the Fall 2013 board meeting minutes were finished and proof
read by 3 different people, I sent them to Jim Morris, who had them in his
possession for 5 weeks, reading them and re-reading them for correctness and
making corrections.  He returned them to me, I made the corrections and
submitted them to be posted on the AIS Website.  At the Spring 2014 Board
meeting, no corrections were made and Motion #3 "Approve Fall minutes as
published on the website", was passed by all.  A couple of days after I got
home from the convention, I was surprised to find an email from President
Morris with these new additional corrections.  I have studied these new
additional corrections and I found only 2 minor typographical errors which did
not change the meaning of the word, or the meaning of a sentence.  The other
corrections are what I consider "cosmetic corrections".
   Third, in Susan Grigg's quotation of Robert's Rules of Order, "If the
existence of an error or material omission in the minutes becomes reasonably
established after their approval -- even many years later -- the minutes can
then be corrected by means of the motion.....".   The 2013 Fall meeting
minutes did not have material omission errors, nor did they have any errors of
information presented.  These "cosmetic corrections" do not meet the criteria
set forth in Robert's Rules of Order for meeting minutes to be corrected.
Therefore this motion under consideration is not valid under Robert's Rules of
Order.
Susan Boyce
AIS Recording Secretary

> Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 17:48:18 -0400
> To: aisdiscuss@aisboard.org
> Subject: Re: [AISdiscuss] Approval of correxted minutes
> From: 101d@rewrite.aisboard.org
>
> Please note that Robert's Rules of Order, Newly Revised does allow for
> correction of minutes, even years after their approval. See below:
>
> " If the existence of an error or material omission in the minutes
> becomes reasonably established after their approval -- even many years
> later -- the minutes can then be corrected by means of the motion
> to/Amend Something Previously Adopted/, which requires a two-thirds
> vote, or a majority vote with notice, or the vote of a majority of the
> entire membership, or unanimous consent."
>
> I believe that ". . .the vote of a majority of the entire membership. . ."
in this case means the entire membership of the Board, not the entire
membership of the AIS.