From: owner-aisdiscuss@aisboard.org [mailto:owner-aisdiscuss@aisboard.org] On Behalf Of Robert Pries
Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 8:06 AM
To: aisdiscuss@aisboard.org
Subject: Re: [AISdiscuss] Emeritus Judges

 I think what Paul states is well said.

Perhaps our perceptions are not as far off as one might imagine. I would interject a bit of history. It is only this year that Membership has turned around and is now growing. But for more then 15 years it has been in decline. The number of new judges produced each year has been small during this period of decline, but fortunately most of the judges from our growth phase still survive. One must also remember that not very long ago there was a limit on how many members could apply to become a judge. This total was based on membership totals in each region. With declining membership you were allowed fewer judges. The requirement of membership totals was dropped because it became harder and harder to put on shows, which by the way bring new members, a bad feedback loop.

AIS has had a hard time finding enough judges to easily accomplish our missions, of shows, trainings etc.. We definitely need more new judges if we are to continue to grow.  But let me try to make my point clear. Because the number of new judges has been declining, the proportion of master judges as a percentage of all judges has been increasing and that is expected. If we are diligent in recognizing exemplary service this should also be true of Emeritus Judges. I do not know what would constitute a great number of Emeritus judges. All I know is because of our membership decline over the last decade one would expect the proportion of Emeritus judges to rise.

 I look around and see several master judges who have done a great deal for this society. They certainly desire the title of Emeritus. It seems the work of the society has been concentrated on the backs of the hard core members and unless we bring more people on board the decrease in membership has meant more and more work for those already doing work. I see lots of evidence of burnout, and I believe fewer individuals are taking the extra effort to nominate deserving judges to Emeritus status.