Life Memberships

Greetings:
     The reactions and discussions about discontinuing to issue Life
Memberships has been an interesting one -- though moot.   It would require a change in
the bylaws to bring that discontinuation about (although Gerry Snyder thinks
not).
     It was not a serious intention of mine to pursue a discontinuation of
Life Memberships. Mine was an off-hand comment that began the consideration.
     I do think it is good and necessary for those of us guiding the AIS to
examine all areas where dollars may be slipping away unnoticed.   Economy is a
word we should be applying to all aspects of our work, however not at the
sacrifice of fundamental member services, and that's what makes it difficult.   We
want to make our members satisfied with the services and options we provide
-- BUT we have to be aware that if we do not manage to improve our financial
resources, member services will suffer as will member numbers.
     This whole discussion of Life Memberships was good, and these are the
kind of discussions I would like to see more of on AIS Discuss.   To those of
you who are Section Leaders or RVPs, I would like to suggest you present some of
the topics that may come up on AIS Discuss to your constituency and solicit
their thoughts and reactions.   I'm sure their responses would prove
interesting, illuminating and helpful.
     Cheers!
          Jeanne