Re: Life Memberships

Jill Bonino wrote:

Hi All...

Below is the excerpt from the ByLaws regarding Life Memberships. To eliminate them must be done as a change to the ByLaws as Clarence mentioned. This, I think, makes the original motion made by Jay Hudson and seconded by Terry Aitken moot as written.

The question then becomes, do we want to change the ByLaws to eliminate Life Memberships?

"ARTICLE III - MEMBERSHIP

Section 2. The membership of the Society shall be divided into the following classes:

(c) life membership, single or dual, non-transferable, which shall carry full membership privileges, and shall be limited to individuals;"

Two comments:

First, the above does not specify that life memberships be offered for sale. They could be available only as awards from the directors. This does not require us to keep them listed as things anyone can buy. So the motion does not seem moot to me.

Second, I expect to vote against the motion, if it comes to that. I do not feel that I can vote for taking that option away from the general membership. Someone wanting one could look at me and say, "He got his, but does not want me to get mine." This is unlikely to happen, but my sense of fairness wants to keep it from even being a possibility. I bought a life membership for two almost contradictory reasons--my interest in iris might temporarily wane, and I could let membership lapse with later regrets; and I might become a judge and then be kicked out because my customary sloth let my membership lapse.

Ignoring money is not good, but basing everything on money isn't, either. Do we want to hire actuaries to give us the price we should charge for a life membership based on age?

Gerry

--
Gerry Snyder
American Iris Society Director, Symposium Chair