To: <aisdiscuss@aisboard.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 07, 2005 7:53 PM
Subject: Re: [AISdiscuss] Life Memberships

Point of order!

The Board cannot vote to discontinue life memberships. The category of ife
membership is established by the By-Laws of the Society and can only be
discontinued by a change of the By-Laws, and voted on by the entire AIS membership.

The Board can vote to change the cost of life memberships, but I personally
think any change in dues should be done at the regular meeting of the Board
not over the Internet.
I do think it is reasonable to have a different price place on life
membership for U.S./Canadian members and overseas members. But I think even this
should be discussed in an open membership meeting with a full rationale as to why
it is desirable. There is no need to antagonize our overseas members (and
there are VERY few overseas life members anyway).

As for changing the By-laws to discontinue life memberships, I am unconv
inced it is a smart thing to do. Most organizations I belong to have life
memberships, and it is a long tradition in AIS. Traditions are important. And in
any event, a vote to change the By-laws should only be done at the regular
Board meeting.

It has only been in the past few years that the abnormally low interest
rates have caused the income from a life membership to generate inadequate
revenue. Over many long years the interest income from a life membership more than
covered the cost of an annual membership. AND interest rates are not going
to stay low forever.

Over the long run, the present value of money makes a life membership an
income producing category unless life memberships are priced too low. If action
is deemed necessary, it would be wiser to reprice the life memberships than
to discontinue them. But I strongly recommend that any repricing be done in
regular open board meetings. Perceived secrecy is the enemy of organizational
cohesion. Especially when the subject is money.

Warm wishes to all, Clarence